Lowest temp a chicken can survive at

The Wooden Egg

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Its gonna be like -45 here where I live and my chickens have a heat lamp in their coop, so im wondering what the lowest temperature a chicken can survive at, and if my chickens will be o.k.

The breed of the chicken makes a difference; some do not do well in the cold (or the heat).

I don't know what the absolute limit of tolerance for a fully-feathers, healthy, winter-hardy breed is, but if you have a coop or other structure where they can get out of the wind/strong drafts and maintains a low humidity level, they can weather some very bitter temperatures. Just poke around the forums and see; there are a lot of cold weather threads active right now with the temperatures rolling through half the U.S.

A heat lamp should be enough to get them through if they are cold hardy breeds. Currently, temps where I am are around -20F wind chill but 0F ambient temp. I don't use heat lamps in my coop and they are ok. Not exactly happy, but ok. I make sure they have (non-frozen)water to drink and add some high energy snacks to their normal feed (cracked corn and the like to give them extra calories to burn)

My Easter Eggers got down to -6 last night and didn't seem to give a bawk, so to speak. They haven't come out of the coop much today but aren't acting at all uncomfortable and have no signs of frostbite or anything like that. All they really need is a dry coop and a way to get out of the wind and they can take a lot more than people think.

Back
Top Bottom