Lubricant for egg bound hen?

MissLaura

Chirping
May 7, 2019
I've seen different lubricant suggestions, things from mineral oil, Vaseline, KY jelly, olive oil, coconut oil.... which one should be used to help with an egg bound hen?

KY jelly is the least likely to introduce bacteria, but in a truly egg bound hen time can matter, so use what you have on hand. Any of them that will lubricate and help the egg to pass.
I have mineral oil. The egg is sideways. I've given her an Epsom salt bath, the calcium tablet, electrolyte water, Watermelon, Oyster shells and she's in her own pen with a fan on her. She's acting alright. So now I wait for a little while. 🤞

KY jelly is the least likely to introduce bacteria, but in a truly egg bound hen time can matter, so use what you have on hand. Any of them that will lubricate and help the egg to pass.
How often should the calcium tablet be given?

I would give once a day. You can repeat the warm soak if she tolerates it well, it helps them relax. I also keep them in a warm, darkened place, that's quiet. Anything to help them relax. You can feel the egg with an inserted finger? Is she pooping? You can lube up all the side you can feel. If it won't pass and she starts to deteriorate, then a last resort is trying to remove it manually. If you haven't seen this site, there are explanations and instructions here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms/

I would give once a day. You can repeat the warm soak if she tolerates it well, it helps them relax. I also keep them in a warm, darkened place, that's quiet. Anything to help them relax. You can feel the egg with an inserted finger? Is she pooping? You can lube up all the side you can feel. If it won't pass and she starts to deteriorate, then a last resort is trying to remove it manually. If you haven't seen this site, there are explanations and instructions here:
I can barely see it and I can feel it. Yes for poop, regular looking. Eating and drinking. She even preened a little after her soak tonight. Thank you for the link and your helpful suggestions!

I am happy to report she is back to normal and running around with the rest of the flock! Thank you so much for helping.

Is Beakie egg bound, ill or what? She's been sitting in her box for 2 full days. Not eating, not roosting, not walking about. Today I gave her a hot bath, which she loved. After drying her in the sun, she started walking around and nearly dove into her bowl of smoothie. I don't get it. Her eyes are bright, her comb is normal, I can't feel anything amiss...

Is Beakie egg bound, ill or what? She's been sitting in her box for 2 full days. Not eating, not roosting, not walking about. Today I gave her a hot bath, which she loved. After drying her in the sun, she started walking around and nearly dove into her bowl of smoothie. I don't get it. Her eyes are bright, her comb is normal, I can't feel anything amiss...
It can help to start a new thread of your own, to keep the chickens straight. Could she be going broody? Is she plucking her chest feathers out, pulling eggs under her when placed in front of her, running back to the nest box repeatedly, and clucking at you? Is she low in pecking order or bullied and hiding there for safety? Dehydration or weakness from an illness should be explored as well.

Back
Top Bottom