Lumps on eyelid

Weetamoo93

Songster
May 11, 2020
South Mississippi
One of my hens has developed this series of lumps along her right upper eyelid. I acquired her flock this April, so she's still very young. The tops of the larger ones are a little scabby, so I thought, at first glance, it was an injury.
20201105_091345.jpg

Gave the whole flock (only seven) a good look over and she's the only one with anything like this; a few pecks on the others but no lesions. I went ahead and checked her mouth and it's clean. I'd say from the links it fits the description of fowl pox, but due to the line I'm not wholly convinced. It follows the line of her eye so perfectly. I'm not ruling it out, however. Should I quarantine her, even if it's non-lethal?

My other thought is blisters from something like poison ivy? I get lines from the plant oils occasionally if I'm not careful where I tread.

I figure I'll start offering everyone vitamin water (Rooster Booster) because it can't hurt.

Tried for better photos while I checked everyone. I think this was the best I got. 20201105_185512~2.jpg

I really don’t like separating birds from the flock, since it cannbe hard to reintroduce them. Do you have a wire dog crate that you can keep her in with food and water near the rest? You may be seeing more cases any day. There is a vaccine available online from a few places, such as jefferspet and ValleyVet, but it takes some time to be effective. Once they get pox, they are immune to the same strain of virus for life. Here is a video of how it is given:

Thanks for the video! They already have wing bands, so I've got the wing stabbing down already.😉

On the Valley Vet site it mentions "4 weeks prior to lay". My hens are all laying (I get four eggs a day minimum from my six hens). I'm trying to find more info, but it seems scant in regards to laying hens. I find it a bit concerning since the video you linked suggests an annual vaccination in areas like mine. Maybe I should email them?

I found this old BYC thread so far: eat eggs after vaccinating for fowl pox?

The more I look into it, the more I'm wondering if I just vaccinate new chickens in the future and let the seven gain natural immunity...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201105-212158_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201105-212158_Chrome.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 5
I think most people do not vaccinate for pox unless they are having issues with a virulent strain which is causing a lot of really sick birds. I have had a couple of birds with pox that only had a few lesions near the eye, like yours. Once they are exposed and recover they should not get that strain of pox again.
The one at the back looks like it may have been pecked also. I usually don't isolate for this, I figure they have all been exposed. When they are near the eye I just keep an eye on them to make sure that no secondary bacterial infection happens in the eye (and most often it does not-but it is possible). If it did I would use terramycin eye ointment for that.
Most of the time dry pox runs it's course with no real major issues.

Back
Top Bottom