Lyon

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2023
I recently purchased 2 juvenile lyonnaise chickens. (I so hope I have a male and female). I was wondering if anyone else had this breed. I only know of one farm that has them. They are pretty rare in the US. I would like to change that. My chickens are pets. But if this works out I will try to help others breed them too. They are adorable and crazy looking at the same time. France may have a higher population of this breed than the US, but I would really love to conserve them in the US. I attached pics of my pair. They come frizzled or flat feathered. They have a variety of combs as well. France loves them because if their superior white meat. I will never find out if that is true or not. 🫢

Attachments

• 20231208_131326.jpg
    20231208_131326.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20231116_115230.jpg
    20231116_115230.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231116_115358.jpg
    20231116_115358.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231208_213130.jpg
    20231208_213130.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 18
I recently purchased 2 juvenile lyonnaise chickens. (I so hope I have a male and female). I was wondering if anyone else had this breed. I only know of one farm that has them. They are pretty rare in the US. I would like to change that. My chickens are pets. But if this works out I will try to help others breed them too. They are adorable and crazy looking at the same time. France may have a higher population of this breed than the US, but I would really love to conserve them in the US. I attached pics of my pair. They come frizzled or flat feathered. They have a variety of combs as well. France loves them because if their superior white meat. I will never find out if that is true or not. 🫢
Hi there... curious where you purchased these from. We have some of the last genetics from Greenfire Farms (purchased their breeding stock when they moved on). We currently have curly hens, a flat-feathered roo and a curly roo. Looking to add some diversity. Would love to know more about yours. Thanks!

Oh and btw... we've talked to one of the original conservators in France... I don't think things are going very well there. :(
Oh no! That isn't good! I know I have one cockerel with flat feathers. The other is frizzle and I am praying it is a pullet. If they are I am off and running! I will hopefully be able to get some local farmers and backyard chicken lovers to help conserve the breed. I bought them from a farm in Vermont. Sugar Feather Farm. I know that had flooding issues last year so I don't know how much stock they have. I would love more. If I do have a breeding pair, I'm not sure how many I can get next year. My chickens are pets. So breeding purposely is all new to me. I dont want any eggs to go to waste. Ok I am getting ahead of myself. How many hens do you have? Did the conservators in France say what was not going well?

Oh no! That isn't good! I know I have one cockerel with flat feathers. The other is frizzle and I am praying it is a pullet. If they are I am off and running! I will hopefully be able to get some local farmers and backyard chicken lovers to help conserve the breed. I bought them from a farm in Vermont. Sugar Feather Farm. I know that had flooding issues last year so I don't know how much stock they have. I would love more. If I do have a breeding pair, I'm not sure how many I can get next year. My chickens are pets. So breeding purposely is all new to me. I dont want any eggs to go to waste. Ok I am getting ahead of myself. How many hens do you have? Did the conservators in France say what was not going well?
Hi there. At the moment we are down to just two hens. We started the winter with four, but it’s was a tough season. I think the challenge in France is the same everywhere- too few folks interested in working on the breed. Hard to say why, but the Lyonnaise is a bit obscure and without a great marketing team like Bresse 😉.

here's a picture of our flockOut of curiosity, what is the comb pattern for your cockerel?

Back
Top Bottom