here's a picture of our flockOut of curiosity, what is the comb pattern for your cockerel?
His comb is the same as the one you have pictured. I'm having issues as well. I am almost 95% sure I have a male and female. She just hasn't laid yet. He does mate her. Problem...she hurt her leg. I have no idea how. I opened the coop one day to let them out and she is limping so bad. It seems like the foot is the issue. I am assuming it is broken. I have no clue what to do. She runs around, but it doesn't look comfortable. She goes from foot to her knee joint. She is still feisty, eating and drinking. I'm praying she lays eggs soon. I have so many broody silkies. I wouldn't even need to put them in an incubator. If anyone has advice on her leg, I am open to all ideas.

We would need pictures of the legs and feet to help. I would suggest giving human Vitamin B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet crushed into food or a chick vitamin with riboflavin daily.
Ok. I will try to get some tomorrow. We are in the middle of a week of rain, but I'm sure I can figure something out. Thank you!

Ok. I will try to get some tomorrow. We are in the middle of a week of rain, but I'm sure I can figure something out. Thank you!
When looking at her today it seem like the back toe is infected. There was no outward signs of infection when she started limping. She also has the callous and the next joint. It looks a little yellow around it too. So treatment? I have experience with removing infection from bumble foot. I had a couple the other year and I did my neighbors as well. I also have pen G and I think 2 other injectable antibiotics. Do I start with antibiotics or remove the infection first? Hopefully it will be the original cause of the limping, because I checked her foot, leg and joints. She has full use of the leg and the foot. She just doesn't want to stand on it if she doesn't have to. TIA

Attachments

• 20240404_122535.jpg
    20240404_122535.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 3
When looking at her today it seem like the back toe is infected. There was no outward signs of infection when she started limping. She also has the callous and the next joint. It looks a little yellow around it too. So treatment? I have experience with removing infection from bumble foot. I had a couple the other year and I did my neighbors as well. I also have pen G and I think 2 other injectable antibiotics. Do I start with antibiotics or remove the infection first? Hopefully it will be the original cause of the limping, because I checked her foot, leg and joints. She has full use of the leg and the foot. She just doesn't want to stand on it if she doesn't have to. TIA
Do you have photos of all of her and the other foot/leg too?

How is she kept and what do you feed?

With a callous like that on the leg, does she lay down a lot? Looks more like a pressure type sore near the joint of the leg.

Possible the back toe is infected, it looks similar to contact dermatitis. I'd soak the foot in chlorhexidine, pat dry, then wrap. No cutting.
Same with the calloused area. Swab/clean with Chlorhexidine. Apply a thin cushion layer of a gauze pad, then wrap.

Keep her on dry, clean bedding. Tend to the leg/foot daily. See if she improves.

Do you have photos of all of her and the other foot/leg too?

How is she kept and what do you feed?

With a callous like that on the leg, does she lay down a lot? Looks more like a pressure type sore near the joint of the leg.

Possible the back toe is infected, it looks similar to contact dermatitis. I'd soak the foot in chlorhexidine, pat dry, then wrap. No cutting.
Same with the calloused area. Swab/clean with Chlorhexidine. Apply a thin cushion layer of a gauze pad, then wrap.

Keep her on dry, clean bedding. Tend to the leg/foot daily. See if she improves.
Ok. Thank you. I will do that. She is fed all flock because she is in a coop and run with the lyonnaise rooster. I do have oyster shells available for her at all times. Im sure it is part callous from running and part pressure wound. She does not like to walk on it. She usually hangs out in the coop on top of the nest boxes where there is a window so she can still see what everyone else is up to. I can pull her out and place her in my ER space in the garage. It will at least keep her from spending most or her time sitting on a hard surface.

Ok. Thank you. I will do that. She is fed all flock because she is in a coop and run with the lyonnaise rooster. I do have oyster shells available for her at all times. Im sure it is part callous from running and part pressure wound. She does not like to walk on it. She usually hangs out in the coop on top of the nest boxes where there is a window so she can still see what everyone else is up to. I can pull her out and place her in my ER space in the garage. It will at least keep her from spending most or her time sitting on a hard surface.
If possible, I'd keep her with her flock or near them, so re-integration is not so rough on her.

Perhaps she's hanging out more on top the boxes to avoid the rooster?

If possible, I'd keep her with her flock or near them, so re-integration is not so rough on her.

Perhaps she's hanging out more on top the boxes to avoid the rooster?
I think she might be, but if they are to be my mating pair..... we have a younger hmong chicken who believes Camille, the lyonnaise pullet, is her mother. I was planning to keep the two of them together. She has yet to join the other flock. She gets to free range, but she just goes off with her "teenager" and ignores the rest of the flock. Once her foot is better, I'm sure she will be more social.

I think she might be, but if they are to be my mating pair..... we have a younger hmong chicken who believes Camille, the lyonnaise pullet, is her mother. I was planning to keep the two of them together. She has yet to join the other flock. She gets to free range, but she just goes off with her "teenager" and ignores the rest of the flock. Once her foot is better, I'm sure she will be more social.
Yeah, sometimes things don't always work out like you think it will.
Hopefully as she (and he?) matures, things will settle down.

For now, I'd tend to her legs, hope she gets better, then figure out the mating/breeding situation.

Back
Top Bottom