made chicken noodle soup without the can

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
So I suck at making dumplings. I had a black sexlink rooster that not only wasn't needed for breeding, but sealed his fate by flogging me. So what to do with a full grown (year old) rooster? I made chicken noodle soup!!!

After butchering I soaked him in a cooler of salty ice water for about 4 days, changed the water out once. Then I quartered him (so he would fit in my pot) and simmered him all day for stock. I add vinegar to the water for making stock too. I put it in the fridge after work, but the next day I had a stomach flu, so he got to set in the fridge a few more days.
Anyway, he was well "rested" to say the least. I pulled all the meat off the bones for the soup and strained my stock. He was tender, but not mushy like store bought birds.
I boiled sliced carrots, when they were done I put them back in my stock pot and filled it half water, half stock. I diced an onion and several garlic cloves. I added salt, pepper, sage, oregano and basil. I cut/shredded my rooster meat up and put in. I let it sit like that overnight in the fridge to marinate a little. Then I added a bag of dumpling type noodles and cooked them. He was good and my chicken noodle soup was hubby-approved.

What other veggies might you add? I was kinda just thinking about what is in the canned variety, but it seemed like it needed something green. Otherwise it was fine though, definitely a way to get hubby to eat homegrown rooster.

celery and fresh parsley here
smile.png

I do potatoes in beef stew, I want my chicken soup to be different. Hubbs loves potatoes, but I really don't. I may be a firm believer in "meat and potatoes" type cooking, but I don't like white potatoes much.
I did get some greens to put in beef n veggie soup, that's my next meal I have planned.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm happy with my chicken noodle soup, but seems like it just wasn't quite complete yet. Always room for improvement!

Back
Top Bottom