Maggots

queenturkeygirl

Songster
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
usa
My bantam RR chicken has a swollen butt and diarrhea what could have caused this? She's not eggbound and she's not eating wet feed
and also she has maggots all over a wound how do you kill them? We've dewormed her twice
deloused and demited her 3 times washed her 3 times, and I don't know what to do.
she looks like she's going to die.
hit.gif

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures but it's really bad.
The dewormer kinda seems to be working any ideas?
thanks

Dewormer won't work on maggots. Albeit the worms enter and exit a wound, they're not considered internal parasites. For one thing, they need to come up for air. You need to clean them off as best you can. Go down to the pet supply and pick up something called SWAT. It's in a little tub used for fly repellant on horses. Apply liberally into the wound. I've heard some people here use neosporine in the same way. Just make sure it isn't the kind with the pain reliever added to it. Basically, the treatment suffocates the worms. The wound does heal. No matter how bad it looks, do the treatment. Please hurry though time is critical.

Last edited:
You'll need to wash as many of them off as you can see. You need to smother the rest. I've never tried it but have heard that you can use honey. The maggots try to leave the wound and will get stuck in the honey. You can then remove them and reapply the honey. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom