Magicfly incubators

Pics

I hatched my second brood from the Magicfly incubator last week. The first brood had 4/5 success. The one that didn't survive was not because of the incubator. The second brood had 9/9, 100% success! Both broods hatched at day 20. This is a picture of lock down, after I removed the automatic turning tray and one level.
I have a few comments about the incubator. The instructions included were very limited. There are a few youtube videos you can look up. The digital temperature displays in Celsius only. The instructions recommended 38 C. I double checked the temp with a Fahrenheit thermometer and found that 37 C was 99.5 F. There is a way to calibrate the incubator, but I just left it at 37 C. The incubator held the temperature steady very well. It has a fan to keep heat even, and it heats up rather quickly.
The incubator does include an automatic turner. I could only fit 9 eggs in the turner. The egg turner moves very slowly continuously. You cannot see it move, but it does work well. It rolls the eggs to the left, then back to the right. You can use the incubator without the turner and it will hold more eggs. I am incubating 13 eggs now and turning them manually 3 times a day.
I do not add any humidity until lock down, then I add about a half cup of warm water, and more at day 20 if needed.
Things I like about the Magicfly incubator: If hatching 9 or less eggs, you can set it up with the automatic egg turner and you don't have to do anything until day 18 lock down. Lock down is easy. Just remove the turning tray, one level and add warm water. There is good ventilation. Clean up is very easy.
What I don't like about the Magicfly incubator: There is no viewing window to observe hatch. The incubator is made of translucent plastic that you can see through somewhat. It helps to keep the sides wrapped with a towel to keep condensation down. I did open the incubator to remove the chicks that hatched early and remove their eggshells. I had to assist removing the last two chicks from their shells due to membrane shrink wrap, probably my fault because I opened the incubator, but the fan could have contributed. I recommend putting a cloth or nonslip surface in the floor of the incubator at lock down, because the eggs have a tendency to roll around. I think that may be the reason why the one from the first brood did not hatch, from being rolled into the side of the incubator by one of the earlier hatched chicks.
Overall, I am very satisfied with the Magicfly incubator and recommend it for anyone who wants to hatch a small brood. Good luck!

Are you telling me you can't read their profoundly awesome and correct english?

But in all seriousness...I have one and I've got it set to 98-99.5...but I also have another thermometer and humidity gauge keeping it honest and I keep it wrapped in a towel and I tend to manual turn with constant monitoring as to the temp and adjust things when needed. I've hatched A LOT of quail in it.
Oh, and it's forced air.

Now somebody needs to tell me what a "local chicken" is in their manual and what makes them so different from regular old chickens that they need their own column on the incubation temp table.

I have the magic fly 12 incubator coming Wednesday....can anyone give me tips before I ruin any eggs?

Make sure you have a second temp Guage and a hygrometer. The temp fluctuates quite a bit depending on ambient tempature. If it overheats I crack the lid a bit. If it gets cold I place towels around the very bottom to keep it warm. I prefer to hand turn my eggs because the turner didn't seem to be working. I don't use it to incubate any more. It's perfect to have on to put newly hatch chicks to fluff up though. :)

It won't keep track of the days for you. Just take the turner out around 4 days before they are due to hatch. I use the cap off a child's cough syrup bottle for water. If you put it beside the edge on one end the turner will still be able to move normally. That is the right amount of water for me. It may not work for you, but I've been doing it that way for a couple of years.

I just set up my magicfly and the tray does not stay connected to the turner.  So the lid will pop off when it get's to a certain point.  I went ahead and just laid the eggs on the mesh grate since and am manually turning them.  Is this ok?  Or do they need to be in a tray or something?  This is my first attempt at hatching and I feel like I'm all thumbs!  Help!  And I'm not new here, I just rarely post!  I do read often!

I'm not sure why you turner isn't working correctly. My guess would be that the eggs are packed in too tightly. It works great for bantams, but I usually hand turn large fowl because it just won't hold many of them. I noticed sometimes it would rotate the eggs pointy end up. Leaving them on the grate is fine. Although, don't forget to put non-slip shelf liner in before lockdown.

I didn't know about the shelf liner. Fantastic tip! I'll grab some while I'm target today.

I'll have to play around with the egg turner when it's empty. Maybe that is the issue as one egg is fairly large. I have egg's in it right now, only one viable I think, but my shells are so dark, it's been confusing to candle. One day I think they are all duds, the next I see clearly the veining. This is all so fun and new, and a little scary! I feel like I'm approaching motherhood again for the first time! HA!

Thanks for the great tip. Off for shelf liner!

I live in San Diego (El Cajon) but further inland so we a slightly more drier. When our hen had eggs the air sacs seemed medium the whole time till the end. However on hatching day only one lived. The rest looked shrink wrapped... we had crazy weather which was a freak thing.

For my first test run I was planning on whatever I can get. I have a friend who has Ayam Cemani's and I'd like to try those if my first round works.

Back
Top Bottom