Maine Hatcheries???

farmgirlz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
I'm starting new this Spring, a flock with 5 different breeds of birds. But I can't seem to find a hatchery in Maine that has anything other than production reds. Strombergs seems to have the best selection {what I'm looking for}, but I've never purchased mail order chicks... any comments or suggestions?
Or better yet, a hatchery in Maine that has what I'm looking for.
jumpy.gif

Thinking about 5 each:
Brown Leghorns
Cuckoo Maran
Welsummer
Buff Brahma
Ameraucana
(wish I could find some black copper marans)

Last edited:
not sure you will find any hatcherys in maine that will have those breeds. some of the local feed stores sell chicks in april thru june and usually have a list to pick from. i have had good luck with cackle hatchery in missouri and meyer hatchery in ohio when ordering thru the mail. i got my order last year march 9th and only 2 out of 25 chicks were dead on arrival. same with cackle in 2009.

If you are just looking for a nice backyard flock then try your local feedstores. Most already have their order sheets for spring chicks. They order from the hatcheries (Cackle, Ideal or others) or you can order direct from the hatcheries and get the breeds you want. I've had great luck with both Cackle and Ideal in the past. Neither requires huge minimum orders.
But if you want birds that are closer to the breed standards then you would be better off trying to find local breeders. It will probably take longer to get all the breeds you want but in then end you could end up with great birds.

Did you have any luck finding some hatcheries or a good feed store to buy from? We are looking for the same thing (we are near Cornish, Maine) and would so prefer to find someone close... Let me know!

For feed store chicks try Metcalf's in Cornish or Longhorn in Buxton. Longhorn has a better selection and can often do special orders on breeds that they don't have listed on their forms. Metcalf's may do the same. I do know they are ordering some Muscovy ducklings for me even though they weren't planning on getting any in this year. Longhorn gets most of their chicks from Cackle Hatchery but not sure from where Metcalf's orders theirs.

Did you have any luck finding some hatcheries or a good feed store to buy from? We are looking for the same thing (we are near Cornish, Maine) and would so prefer to find someone close... Let me know!

We have a small local hatchery here in Albion, ME... This year I'm hatching only Red Star sex-links. I switch every couple of years to different breeds and only sell locally.

whats your info address and phone number and do you have any chicks availible my sister just got wiped out by coyotes and is looking for a replacement flock

whats your info address and phone number and do you have any chicks availible my sister just got wiped out by coyotes and is looking for a replacement flock
http://www.longhorn.me/
This is Longhorns website. They have a large selection of laying pullets (young and laying age) for sale right now. They come mostly from Cackle Hatchery but I've never had issues with them or their birds and I've used them for 10+ years now
smile.png

Also, depending on where you are located, I have a young flock of jersey giants for sale. They are a few months old, fully feathered and off the heat. 3 white (these are mixes), 3 blue and 2 black. There is 1 definite rooster, possibly 2. But the rest look to be hens.

Back
Top Bottom