Major attack - is this a bear?

Pics
I live in the Hudson valley and we do have bob cats and an occasional mountain lion. Those prints look too small for a bear. I bet you have a big cat. Try installing a trail cam hopefully you can save the remaining birds and find out what’s lurking. If it’s a big cat your other animals are not safe either.

Those prints look too small for a bear. I bet you have a big cat. Try installing a trail cam hopefully you can save the remaining birds and find out what’s lurking.

Put out some dead meat and a trail cam I bet on a Bear

OP followed the trail of feathers and found bears:
confirmed it's a bear (or multiple). I followed the trail of feathers into the woods, found various parts of birds and eventually half a guinea. Then I stood in bear scat (cleverly wearing my slippers...). About five feet further in, I saw one or more bears - looked like a cub or two and a mother. Mystery solved! Decided the best move was to back out, as I didn't really want to stare them down.

After losing a chicken a day to a fox/foxes when free ranging, we thought we had the problem sorted by only letting them out for 30 minutes before sunset. Between being locked up last night and checking this morning, something visited the coop and tore a big hole in the 1/4" hardware cloth, getting 11 of our 16 birds (4 ISA browns, two bantams, two guineas and our three barred rock hens). We're left with two guineas, a bantam, a barred rock cockerel and one ISA brown hen.

Any idea what could have got through the cloth? Claw marks on the sides in various spots as well and a few black hairs left as evidence. Thinking maybe a raccoon (though didn't think they could get through the cloth) or a bear?View attachment 2343917View attachment 2343918View attachment 2343919View attachment 2343920View attachment 2343921
[/QUOT
Here are some pictures with a ruler for scale. Also noticed some what look like tooth marks at the top near where it got in.
View attachment 2343994View attachment 2343995View attachment 2343996View attachment 2343998
[/QUOTE

If I had to guess I'd say a bear cub. Which state do you live in? Where I live in Colorado most of the bears have about a 5 or 6 inches across. I agree it is odd
I don't think we have cougars here - we're in the Hudson Valley in NY. It's a pretty big hole that it tore in the cloth, which is why I thought bear...
Do you have neighbors with a dog? If not I'd say bear.

After losing a chicken a day to a fox/foxes when free ranging, we thought we had the problem sorted by only letting them out for 30 minutes before sunset. Between being locked up last night and checking this morning, something visited the coop and tore a big hole in the 1/4" hardware cloth, getting 11 of our 16 birds (4 ISA browns, two bantams, two guineas and our three barred rock hens). We're left with two guineas, a bantam, a barred rock cockerel and one ISA brown hen.

Any idea what could have got through the cloth? Claw marks on the sides in various spots as well and a few black hairs left as evidence. Thinking maybe a raccoon (though didn't think they could get through the cloth) or a bear?View attachment 2343917View attachment 2343918View attachment 2343919View attachment 2343920View attachment 2343921

I used to live in Black Bear country in western Massachusetts - never had a bear attack but those claw marks look mighty wide and sharp for a coyote or wolf. The worst massacre i experienced was half grown chicks - five beautiful true Auracaunas - being shredded through hardwear cloth by was was likely a raccoon. I knew I was playing with fire having them in a cage in the barn ‘til letting them loose in my coop which was a veritable fortress. I was moving them to safety the next day so i guess the varmint was psychic. Worst slaughter experienced by neighbors was a weasel attack. A tiny weasel entered her coop through a tiny hole. She didn’t even know there was a hole. Killed or beheaded 26 birds - none were taken just murdered. Best scenario is have a coop which is impenetrable.

Please don't bait your fence..

I just don't understand this. Why in hell would I bait my fence? Last thing I want is to entice any predator to my coop. That bear is going to be smelling everything if it comes back. It will touch the hotwire. Putting bait on your fence is a foolish idea.
I just installed solar electric fencing and this is exactly what the manufacturer recommends doing. It's to give the predator a good head zap so they will learn to avoid. Makes perfect sense.

Back
Top Bottom