Major Chick Problem

WildernessLofts

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2009
North Topeka, KS
I have a bunch of chicks that are starting to show nervous system signs (very unsteady/drunk gait) and are going blind. I've thought about aspergillosis, but these chicks are in two different locations. Three of them are in the house and have been since hatch kept on dry bedding. The other seven are outside in a wire bottom cage and are given fresh food and water daily. The oldest ones are a month and a half old. The younger ones are a couple of weeks younger. Two of the ones in the house have been blind in one eye each since shortly after hatch. I assumed it was from complications hatching and dismissed it, but the ones outside just started going blind this weekend.

It is only affecting these two groups of chicks (which are related) and none of my free-range ones. None have died yet, but I fear it may be eminent. Any ideas what could be going on?

Last edited:
Their eyes cloud over instead of turn grey. Like an eye cold, or something. Their difficulty walking doesn't appear to be any sort of paralysis. It just becomes super difficult for them to move around. Their legs and heads tremor. They are still able to eat and drink and maintain a fairly average weight.

The older chicks are in an entirely wire cage with the exception of the roof. The symptoms do seem to match up a bit.

I was looking at the one that has had symptoms the longest and one of his eyes is completely missing now.

Him and another have lost vision from both eyes, so I guess they'll be put down.

I think Marek's is most possible, as well as Aspergillosis. Aspergillosis can be spread by hands and feet, it's all over but it's usually the ones with a poor immune system that get it. I think with Asp., you would see the symptoms earlier than 6 weeks, where Marek's symptoms you commonly see at 6 weeks or more. Usually. Not written in stone. The symptoms for both can be very similar. I have not heard of Marek's causing any eye problems so early as yours. I think I would start by giving them vitamins (multi- chicken vitamins).

Also, I would dump the feed if you still have it. Anything come to mind that could be toxic?

If someone dies you may want to think about getting a necropsy, it may help with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom