Make your own Apple Cider Vinegar

Quote:
Unfiltered, unpasteurized ACV w/ "mother" can be found in health food stores. Someone mentioned they also found it at their grocery store in the organic foods section.

It is true that you MAY get vinegar just by leaving juice or wine out in a container like that. However, my biggest concern is that you could also get any number of other microorganisms living in your culture. It is safer and also probably faster to start with vinegar that has the living bacteria that you wish to propogate.

I find it strange that you get vinegar w/o a "mother". I'm not sure what to make of that exactly. It could be that your vinegar never matured to the stage where a visible "mother" appeared on your product, but I don't know your circumstances. I'm glad you had success and that your product seems perfectly safe.

junebug7334, yes you can use it when your animals get sick, but lots of people use it year-round to prevent illness. I use it more in the winter, because I notice the benefits more then.

Yes, MissPrissy, I agree. There is something comforting about knowing that you will always have some vinegar on hand. It is also a great way to use up apples if you ever have too many.

And yes, if you want to diversify and make wine vinegar you could do that too. I'm thinking about trying to make rice wine vinegar, myself, but I will do it in a separate container so that I can keep the ACV culture going.

Raw ACV is good probiotics. It is healthy for you, your chivkens and any other pets. I use 1 tbsp to a gallon waterer. It will keep algea at bay in your water dishes, too.

I personally Love apple cider soaked french fries. But that'd be a nice additive to a waterer for algae growth. Thanks for the idea.
smile.png

ETA: We always keep a gallon on hand. & I have a filled glass shaker with it. Ya never know when you'll need some for fries.
wink.png

Last edited:
I bought a gallon of apple cider from the produce section of wally world, poured out a bottle full of what I had bought from the health food store. Put the 3/4 cider and the health food bottlefull together in a glass jar. shook well and stored in back closet for about 3 months, best ACV ever had and probaby for less than $5.00 a gall.even if it did take a few months, it was worth it.I think the Brggs was $3.99, so I just reused the bottle. Plan on starting a new batch next time i go into town, buy a gallon of the cider, pour a bottlefull of my old acv into it and set the jar back in the closet. marrie

i make apple, red, white wine, berry vingers. you might be able to find vinger starter at the home brew store. once you have it going just keep adding more apple cider, wine. i ve had some going for years now just draw off what you need so much better then store bought. in ny we can't get unpasturized apple cider its not legal to sell but you can use pasturized as long as its just heat pasturized not chemicaly pasturized

Great tips! I am definitely going to do this...our waterer seems to get slimy very quickly. I also love to cook with unfiltered apple cider vinegar, so knowing how to make more and keep it going is great. I get mine at PCC in Seattle...it's Spectrum brand, which I am sure you can find in other areas of the country...health food store and co-ops are probably a great place to start.

I have been holding on to an almost empty bottle of Braggs ACV that had a "mass" in the bottom of it. I thought I read that it was the "mother"?? Can anyone tell me if it is? I wanted to throw it out the other night but I really don't want to throw out the mother if that is what it is. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom