Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Mine were using it at 12 weeks and I will never go back to anything else.

This is one of the best things I ever found on BYC (and the cheapest too)!!!!!

I would NEVER EVER use any other type of feeder!!!!!!!!!!!!

I merely made some factual observations

You will decrease food waste by quite a bit if you build one without realiziing it takes a good sized bird to be able to reach inside to the feed level

Of course your birds won't be too happy at the savings
wink.png

I've never seen a big "waste" problem with the feeders I use, because if they spill feed, I don't refill the feeder until they clean it up. Hang them at the proper height and they don't toss it out anyway

I also keep mine inside so rain isn't a factor, and they can eat during stormy weather

I never said "don't do it"
I just think ALL things need to at least be considered before investing time and money into an idea
What is the proper height , according to your observations ?

I'm wondering if you could just use some chicken wire or hardware cloth to construct a triangular shape that you could then attach to your lid. I would think in theory you could probably even use paper mache or something similar in concept and clear coat it, just as long as the material used is not toxic to birds. Otherwise, just leave the metal alone. I'm thinking like drilling 3-4 small holes around the lid behind the raised outer lip, and then feed a little piece of that wire through the holes, and then bend the wire end flush with the inside part of the lid. That way if you needed to remove the wire, it's not a permanent fixture. I wouldn't use that as leverage to open the lid to the bucket though as it would not be strong enough. Then again if you have an old feeder, just remove the top cone off of the old one and adhere it to the lid of the bucket.

I'm wondering if you could just use some chicken wire or hardware cloth to construct a triangular shape that you could then attach to your lid. I would think in theory you could probably even use paper mache or something similar in concept and clear coat it, just as long as the material used is not toxic to birds. Otherwise, just leave the metal alone. I'm thinking like drilling 3-4 small holes around the lid behind the raised outer lip, and then feed a little piece of that wire through the holes, and then bend the wire end flush with the inside part of the lid. That way if you needed to remove the wire, it's not a permanent fixture. I wouldn't use that as leverage to open the lid to the bucket though as it would not be strong enough. Then again if you have an old feeder, just remove the top cone off of the old one and adhere it to the lid of the bucket.
I like the "old cone" idea.

What do you use to keep the chickens off of the feeder?

If it's a problem of them perching and pooping on the top, you could always "fake" hanging it by having a rope or chain attached to the handle and then to a rafter. You could also use the plastic or metal cones used over top of traditional hanging feeders in conjunction with that to really keep them off.

This is one of the best things I ever found on BYC (and the cheapest too)!!!!!

I would NEVER EVER use any other type of feeder!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to agree that this is about as good of a bird feeder as I have ever seen. What's not to like about them :) I can make three of these almost for the price of one normal bucket type feeder and never have any of the issues. Win-Win IMO!

Back
Top Bottom