Making a breed for 5 years now, need a tester, will cream eggs work?

Severne

Songster
Dec 21, 2019
Northern CA
Hello all! I have been working on a beardless high production, small blue eglaying gamefowl with a pea comb. But now I need to have some o/o homogeneous white birds to test for O/O. Could I use my bantams eggs, she lays cream whitish.

Hello all! I have been working on a beardless high production, small blue eglaying gamefowl with a pea comb. But now I need to have some o/o homogeneous white birds to test for O/O. Could I use my bantams eggs, she lays cream whitish.
Do you have any other banties that lay White, or a Large Fowl that lays white?

When you say cream, do you mean light brown, or tinted?

I just arranged for tests to be run in Germany on @20 of my chickens to see which are heterozygous and which homozygous for the blue egg gene at a cost of $30 per test. While test matings are a viable way to find O/O birds, the cost of running these tests is low enough and will save enough time that I can justify the expense. You might consider doing likewise given the time you could save.

I have 5 roosters and estimate that 1 is O/O, 2 are O/o, and 2 are o/o. For my hens, all have been laying for several months and are known to lay blue eggs. Based on egg color, I think 4 or them are O/O and the rest O/o. Just getting rid of the o/o roosters will make a dramatic improvement in numbers of blue egg chicks in the next generation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom