Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Memory lies. Pictures, supported by text, are the only way to be certain. Also, I found from my first months with birds that I was terrible at both judging, and remembering, weights. If this project is going to be even marginally successful (as opposed to simply enjoyable, a laudable goal of it own), I've got to be honest about. Posting here helps that immensely.

I take pictures of them on the scale and I enter the data in a spreadsheet!
gosling weights_7.png
1609862746883.png

I take pictures of them on the scale and I enter the data in a spreadsheet!
View attachment 2476615
I have an Office Document for the whole project, combining Word and Excel. Will probably bundle in PowerPoint next, as I am taking pictures along the way in an effort to discern which hatchling patterns become what adult patterns, since more than half of what I am breeding for is adult color/pattern. That way, if a neighbor wants to buy some hatchlings, I'll at least know which I can sacrifice for the feed budget.

I reread your goals. From that I guess I don't see why you are hatching from all hens. It seems to me the darkest few red Rainbow hybrids are closest to your end goal and your cock is barred so there's you're pattern.

They have the genetics for size, growth and laying. They also have the desired red factor and egg color. All you have to do is pull out of their genetics what you desire. The chance of getting there in short order are greatly increased if you only hatch their eggs. Cross the best from them to make F2. Those will be all over the place in terms of size and growth/maturity rate. F3 should really show headway. If you hatched enough of F1 and F2 generations there should be the color with barring in great numbers in F3 also. Maybe there will be something to backcross to in F2 but I believe your real start to defining and keeping future breeders will be in that third generation.

I mention it as your incubator can't take many eggs. Most of the hens don't have the traits you desire so why not nip all that early and get a jump by cranking out the best Rainbow's chicks. Just set up a breeding pen. With hands on evaluation of the Rainbows you could narrow it to the best two hens. That way you're almost hatching every egg they lay. If signs of over mating show then just put the cock in with them every third day to ensure all eggs are fertile.

It's a thought. Below is a link for hands on evaluation for meat quality-

https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf

I reread your goals. From that I guess I don't see why you are hatching from all hens. It seems to me the darkest few red Rainbow hybrids are closest to your end goal and your cock is barred so there's you're pattern.

They have the genetics for size, growth and laying. They also have the desired red factor and egg color. All you have to do is pull out of their genetics what you desire. The chance of getting there in short order are greatly increased if you only hatch their eggs. Cross the best from them to make F2. Those will be all over the place in terms of size and growth/maturity rate. F3 should really show headway. If you hatched enough of F1 and F2 generations there should be the color with barring in great numbers in F3 also. Maybe there will be something to backcross to in F2 but I believe your real start to defining and keeping future breeders will be in that third generation.

I mention it as your incubator can't take many eggs. Most of the hens don't have the traits you desire so why not nip all that early and get a jump by cranking out the best Rainbow's chicks. Just set up a breeding pen. With hands on evaluation of the Rainbows you could narrow it to the best two hens. That way you're almost hatching every egg they lay. If signs of over mating show then just put the cock in with them every third day to ensure all eggs are fertile.

It's a thought. Below is a link for hands on evaluation for meat quality-

https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf

I did consider it, but both the Comets and the SLW are faster growing and earlier layers (but I said that already) than the Rainbows, and Thing Three is putting on weight/bulking out faster than its siblings. Thing Four, for all that he/she is visually smaller, is a dense little black ball of weight gain % too - though neither appear to have the patterning. The Reds don't have the weight at m desired culling ages (and if I didn't love the Brahma pattern, they'd already be out).

Ultimately though, I can't tell the eggs apart, and haven't finished building the new run (will be out doing that as soon as this post is finished, cut trees for poles yesterday) or the new house for them (will need screws - only so much I can do with a chain saw, a shovel, and post hole diggers - the exterior screws I have are too short) so I can segregate the flocks for their morning egg drops.

Its my hope to do as you suggest with the best of the P1-0Xs from the Spring hatchings, and start culling the yearlings as they go into fall molt or demonstrably underperform their siblings.

Finally, my Reds are the least predator aware of my flock, apart from the single Cornish - camouflage helps, yes, but being too stupid to seek safety isn't a trait I can breed out without the assistance of predators I can ill afford to feed at the moment. SO I'm taking a big step back in hopes of taking two tiny steps forward. Keep this post in mind though - come this time next year, I may be posting about how I should have followed this advice from the start, and saved myself some years... There is much wisdom in your suggestion.

and finally, @Egghead_Jr, I appreciate the courtesy you did me in your post, both in tone and content - as well as rechecking my desires before sharing those thoughts. Its a standard I wish more would aspire to.

Back
Top Bottom