Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Only getting 6 eggs a day or so right now, very frustrating. No time to cull, either - too much else going on. Also, this.

1666614011713.png

We are as yet undecided. It was actually triplets, one was born still. We named her "caboose" because she was small and had no engine. Has been laid to rest by the railroad vine that trails the edge of the driveway. Railroad vine, as you likely know, is also called "goat's foot". Seemed fitting.

Once the youngers show some personality, we'll have some names to choose from.

Cute does not come close to describing that photo!

DH has been after me for years to get a couple goats. He works a lot so I know it'd be me that would be tending them. Not against goats mind you, just never took care of any. I'm going to show him that picture even though I know it's not really a good idea. LOL At least they are in Florida so too far to go to buy a goat!

So sorry you lost one. 😞

I'm going to have to bring in new genetics this year if the laying doesn't increase so i can hatch.
This is the right time of year for hens to be molting, so that might be why they aren't laying. So there's at least some chance they'll start up again after they grow their new feathers.

How many eggs do you usually set at a time? You said recently that you were getting about 6 eggs each day, so you might just collect ALL eggs for a few days and fill the incubator. You could consider it selection for ones that lay at this particular seaon when most others have quit.

Back
Top Bottom