Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Oh yes, I'd happily put a bird like that into the mix - MUCH better than some of the others I'm working with.

and on the hatching front, 4 days left on the incubator. Had one become a bacteria bomb - of course that ended the one on either side. Its my damn clay soils - the shell was stained. MAY have lost the eggs to either side of that as well. There;s lots of development, but not what I would expect at this point, thinking maybe day 12-14 - they have that not quite solid look to them which the pronounced air sack and lots of dark spaces.

Don't know if I'm better off removing the bloom with an anti-bacteria wipe or simply waiting for "perfect" eggs.
Would give these ladies to you, to help you out if I could.

Sorry for the bad lighting.

Dark Partridge(Mahogany/Red)
20230428_183046.jpg
20230428_183155.jpg

Light Partridge(Gold)
20230428_183324.jpg
20230428_183411.jpg

I'm a little surprised by the chick color, since it looks like a typical chick from all-black breeds. You've been showing so many brown ones recently, I didn't realize you had the all-black pattern at all. It's dominant over any of the black/gold or black/silver patterns, so it should not appear in chicks if it is absent in the parents. Of course, black can appear as white if the parent has Dominant White, or a chicken can have white barring over the black, but I didn't think you had any birds that are all-white or black/white barred either.

Maybe I wasn't watching as carefully as I thought I was.

I'm a little surprised by the chick color, since it looks like a typical chick from all-black breeds. You've been showing so many brown ones recently, I didn't realize you had the all-black pattern at all. It's dominant over any of the black/gold or black/silver patterns, so it should not appear in chicks if it is absent in the parents. Of course, black can appear as white if the parent has Dominant White, or a chicken can have white barring over the black, but I didn't think you had any birds that are all-white or black/white barred either.

Maybe I wasn't watching as carefully as I thought I was.
Combination of selective picture taking by me to highlight the successes and the most desired Birds, together with my failure to call all the birds I've wanted to. Not enough time. Never enough time..

View attachment 3489579

So far. Three more eggs worth of possibility. And yes, two hatched recently, hadn't finished fluffing up in the incubator yet.
The dark brown partridge, & the yellows/red look promising. One other yellow have the partridge stripes, that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom