Making roof predator proof

Yes, the top triangular spaces on the sides, and the top rectangular spaces on the front need to be covered in hardware cloth. I'm referring the the spaces below the roof joist 2x4's.
Additionally, there are open spaces on the sides and front/back that need to be addressed.
On the sides, if I see correctly, the builder has failed to put filler material between the perlins. In this case you would just nail in some 1x1 sections between the perlins before the roof panels go on. This makes a continuous flat surface all along the side top edges.
Now, there a similar gaps just below the perlins on the front and the back. These must absolutely be secured. It looks like you could secure some hardware cloth over those spaces although that might be a huge pain in the rear. If you do that, make sure you position a perlin in a convenient location to attach hardware cloth to. Even if you add an additional perlin just for this purpose without screwing the roof panels to it.

Hi Kim - I agree with CrazyTalk. I'd tack some wire up so that nothing can get in the coop. You definitely want to make sure snakes can't get in. We have lots of chicken snakes where I live and if there is the smallest hole that they can fit through they will get into your coop and eat up your eggs and/or little chicks.

Back
Top Bottom