Making Sour Dough Bread

LOVE making sourdough! I made my own starter two years ago and have kept it going. It's a great mature starter at this point and I always love to share! I can't get to a 100% whole wheat loaf, but here's my mostly whole wheat recipe that makes two loaves:

675 g whole wheat flour
420 g bread flour
630 g filtered water
30 g starter
3 tsp sea salt

I make it in the evening and let it rise overnight. In the morning I form it and put it into the loaf pans for a second rise before baking in 350 for 35-40 minutes.

wow, delighted to find this thread!

I've got two sour dough starters. One is from a friend in San Fransisco who brought me 2 cups of hers on a plain! Its named Fred the Bread. Now, I live in Kansas, wheat country. I bought some locally grown red winter wheat, dried and ground it, and made my own starter using 25 g local wheat, 25 g white flour (all purpose) and 50 g spring water (from a bottle). Its named Wild Bill. Fred rises faster than wild bill, and has a more sour flavor. Wild bill (from KS flour) has a milder more intensely "wheaty" flavor, but no bitterness or sourness whatsoever. It's a slower riser too. I have choosen to train my breads on 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 all purpose white, since this allows me to bake with whole wheat, white only, or half whole wheat with great success.

I can't wait to try the other receipes. If anyone wants, I'll share either starter or directions for making your own. My bread receipe is very very simple, and provides 2 large loaves.

@Marty1876 Wow, a starter from San Francisco! I am jealous. I have heard that whole wheat makes the best bread if allowed to ferment overnight, do you do a pre-ferment when making whole wheat bread?

Back
Top Bottom