Making the flock become one

phalenbeck

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Canton, N.C.
My replacement flock consists of 3 Silkeys, about 4-5 months and 2 month polish, easter Egger, and Wyandotte. We gradually put them together with minimal problems. The biggest Silkey can be a bully at times, but all is well overall. -The 'little girls' and the big girls sleep seperately, (Silkeys on the floor) in the coop, and relate minimally in the run. They free-range as seperate groups to, with the Wyandotte at times joining both flocks. ---Is this going to continue as 2 flocks? It sure would be nice to go looking for one group.

Give them some time, they MIGHT begin to act as one flock.
Keeping in mind, they have been seperated and have imprinted to each other and it could be a harder task to achieve.
Plus, when free ranging it's normal for them to split up and go different ways. It's the roos job to find them nice little treats and call them back to the group!

I have a core group of 8 hens that travel around with our BLRW roo, and a sub flock of 3 cochins & 2 astralorps who hang together, and one other cochin that we just got who goes about on her own. This is the beginning of the first full week all together, and I am seeing them all forage together a little more each day. The poor lone cochin is soooooooo timid, but I am hoping she will come around too.

Give it time, it should work out.

Yep, keep the faith and patience is the key here to a flock becoming a family that tolerates each other for the most parts.

Gotta love those pretty hens!

bigzio

We have successfully mixed three silkies of 3 months with a3 month pullet, and a 5 month pullet. We started by letting them near each other during free range time and eventually put them all together one night. Someone on here told me to mix them after dark and when they wake up they think they belong together. My 5 month kept to herself on a high roost for weeks, but recently they all began roosting ( up high) as one group. Maybe they got cold enough to get it together. It may just take time.
You know how to gwt patience???
Wait for it. I hate that one too!!!

Back
Top Bottom