Making weird Exhaley noise

Apr 1, 2024
Hello! New to chickens, just got yesterday. My serama hen makes this weird exhaley noise sometimes. It’s like a really long whine. it lasts like 5-7 seconds. She also makes shorter airier whines. She doesn’t do it constantly, but every once in a while. Is this normal? Just want to make sure I start them off right. Thanks and God bless!

Welcome To BYC

A video of the noise she makes would be helpful.

Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Do you notice any bubbles in the eyes, mucous from the nostrils or any other indication that she may have respiratory symptoms like coughing/sneezing?

This is your first chicken or do you have others?

I am very new to chickens so this may be my reptile brain (as in I keep reptiles not that I have a small brain lol) speaking but is sounds like it could be an eggsisting respiratory issues or the start of one.
However, before you get worried, I have heard that this isn’t a super uncommon occurrence and most of the time isn’t an issue and just a little quirk that some individuals have. But definitely wait for some experienced people to chirp up before dismissing it!

Welcome To BYC

A video of the noise she makes would be helpful.

Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Do you notice any bubbles in the eyes, mucous from the nostrils or any other indication that she may have respiratory symptoms like coughing/sneezing?

This is your first chicken or do you have others?
hello! I will definitely upload a video in the morning. She is my first chicken and I have a rooster with her, planning to get more hens soon. She doesn’t seem to have any other symptoms. She is broody, though if that has anything to do, and is sitting on eggs.

I am very new to chickens so this may be my reptile brain (as in I keep reptiles not that I have a small brain lol) speaking but is sounds like it could be an eggsisting respiratory issues or the start of one.
However, before you get worried, I have heard that this isn’t a super uncommon occurrence and most of the time isn’t an issue and just a little quirk that some individuals have. But definitely wait for some experienced people to chirp up before dismissing it!
Thank you for eggspressing your knowledge! That’s been my concern for her 😅 Will definitely upload a video soon to check if I’m just making something over nothing.

Back
Top Bottom