Making Yeast Supplements from Scratch

ihatedarkroast

Songster
Sep 28, 2021
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
Does anyone have any recipes for making your own yeast supplements (to add to duck feed) instead of purchasing them from the store? I did buy some from the store. But we also make our own sourdough starter. We also make our own wine. So I have these 5 gallon carboys with yeast sludge at the bottom that I normally just dump out. One carboy might have a couple pints of yeast slurry in it at some point. I also keep jars of wine yeast in my fridge for whenever I feel like making more or hard cider or whatever. I was hunting online and saw some references where you can take instant yeast and heat it in a frying pan to deactivate and use it as nutritional yeast. But that was purchasing packets of bread yeast from the store. I also saw one web site that said you could take the leftover yeast from making your own beer, "wash it" (which means diluting with distilled water, draining about 3 or 4 times), then put the slurry on a piece of foil in the food dehydrator to make a usable powder. Since I can turn the dehydrator up to 180, I think that would be plenty hot enough to deactivate?

Of course, with wine making, most of the yeast slurry is dead yeast anyway because as the alcohol content rises, and the sugar drops, it kills off the yeast. So would you want to harvest your slurry partway through the process or just at the end?

But has anyone here actually tried that? How did it go? Was it worth the effort? Is there really any difference between using wine yeast and beer yeast nutritionally since they are just different strains? How would one even go about that with sourdough starter if one wanted to use it? Dilute starter in a jar of sugar water and ferment as you would wine yeast?

Asking because I'd much rather just feed all-flock to my mixed flock and add supplements than pouring $$$ into expensive duck feed. Especially when I am pouring gobs of leftover yeast stuff down the septic system. (Maybe it's good for the septic too and helps break down food particles down there? LOL who knows?)

Cant help you with the yeast question.
Have question of my own.. Is live yeast not suitable to give to your flock??? I imagine the nutritional benefit should be in live yeast same. :idunno
I do use plenty of yeast in my baking endeavors. Prefer yeast raised cakes to baking powder raised.
On subject of wine,,,,, (Home made)
Mom used to make it years ago. She never added yeast. Depended on the wild yeast on the fruit. She never washed the fruit before she put into vessel to ferment. Her wines were very delish. :drool:drool:drool
After fermentation was complete, she threw out the fruit into chicken run. this was the view of the chickens that afternoon. :lau:wee:yesss::gig:lau:wee:yesss::gig:lau
I do realize that whine yeasts are certain strains. Wonder how those strains would act if made a sourdough starter from. :idunnoJust an idea.

Back
Top Bottom