Making your own Breed - Questions

GeoGreyWolf

Songster
Sep 21, 2017
Florida
Has anyone successfully made their own breeds?

The reason I ask is my Black Swedish Drake mated with my Pekin. I hatched the eggs and came out with three different colored ducks. One obviously is a Blue maybe Black Swedish as her feathers come in, The other is a Beige color and lastly the runt is what I would call a Snowy color. All have black beaks. With my runt being a different color, I have not really seen in larger ducks other than I heard call ducks, I thought it would be interesting to see if I can recreate and have a new breed. She is what I would say bantam size since she is 2 months old and is smaller than all the others of her hatch who are the size of the adult ducks.

IMG_4684[1].JPG IMG_4929[1].JPG IMG_4893[1].JPG IMG_4959[1].JPG

What you have is a bunch of cross breeds.

In order to make "your own breed" you, would hatch out a bunch and breed the likes to each-other. When you can get all the offspring of the next generation to hatch looking the same with the same size and bill color, shank color and all that and make it repeatable generation after generation... THEN it will be your own breed that you could work to have accepted into the standard. Until then they are barnyard mix. :pop

But yes, many people have successfully made "their own breed". The Delaware chicken is good example. :cool:

Good luck on your adventure! :fl :wee

Back
Top Bottom