~MALAYSIAN SERAMA THREAD~ (PICS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Where from!?!? What do they look like!?!? I just washed mine for a show tomorow (late, I know, but I work 12 hr shifts), and i had the guilty pleasure of staring and drooling over them after they dried, as they pooped all over the house. You are gonna LOVE them!

the free 4H offer from Jerry's Seramas--he is sending them out on MONDAY!!!!!
I couldn't wait till next spring when it would again be warm enough to ship here, because I am planning on hatching out showbirds from this pair then.

woot.gif

wee.gif

Here is a few pics of my new little Seramas at a week old...

This is Happy Feet. Wonderful Colors.. Getting some white in the wings..
67636_101_0480.jpg

Next is Little Coco.. Both these birds just had to poo on the background while I was trying to take pics..
This little baby likes to roost on my finger.. and one of the Friendliest .. So far all black feathers.
67636_101_0457.jpg

Here is Tinkerbell. She (hopefully) is the smallest. Nice little wing feathers.
67636_101_0454.jpg

And Lastly Truffles.. She (again Hopefully) has dark brown colors, and look at her wing feathers.
67636_101_0450.jpg

Just an up date.. I had a friend of mine come look at what I thought was old english... and they turned out to be.......... wait for it.........
celebrate.gif
SERAMAS
celebrate.gif
Im so excited.. I will post pictures as soon as I can take them.....
wee.gif
SERAMAS AT LAST....
ya.gif

Hi Catwalk!
Would You Please Talk About The "creeper Gene"? I've Heard Of It And It Is Said To Be Lethal,if I Understand Correctly.
I Have Heard That Japanese Bantams Carry The Creeper Gene And It Has Something To Do With Length Of Leg.
This Seems An Important Issue. Agree?

Creeper gene is a really short leg. It doesn't seem to be what this cockerel has, so I still don't know much about it. He went to live with a nice lady who will make a pet out of him.

Quote:
From what I understand, the ideal Japanese type calls for legs so short, the chicken almost looks like it has no legs. This is achieved with the help of the creeper gene. Yes, the creeper gene is a lethal gene.

Lethal genes are only lethal when the chick inherits the gene from both parents. Remember, there are two genes controlling this trait, one from each parent. A bird with short legs will have one copy of the creeper gene, and one normal gene. It will pass the creeper gene on to roughly half of its offspring, the other half will get the normal gene. Breed two short-legged birds together, and roughly half of their offspring will have short legs (they get the creeper gene from one parent, the normal gene from the other). About 1/4 of their chicks will get the normal gene from both parents, and have the longer legs. And about 1/4 of the offspring will get the creeper gene from both parents, and will die at the time of hatching.

Bear in mind that these ratios are based on the idea that you have scads of offspring from this cross. In a sample group as small as, say, one clutch of 8 eggs, you could have all long-legged birds, all short-legged birds, even a whole clutch that dies at hatching, or any possible combination of the three; and all would be considered normal results.

Because the Japanese bantam is one of the foundation breeds of the Serama, the creeper gene is in the Serama gene pool. The hope is that by breeding for a bird that has longer, more proportionate legs, the creeper gene will be weeded out, and at least that will no longer be a reason for lower hatch rates in Seramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom