Male Guinea Fowl attacking chicken hen

Thanks, R2elk! I’m just being lazy I guess. I want to make sure the keets are getting the amount of protein they need and know they won’t if they are eating chicken food or a combo of chicken and game in some unknown ratio. I put out crushed egg shells for the chickens; the guineas never seem interested and don’t bother it but the chickens do seem to take what they need.
Crushed egg shells may not be enough. I recommend providing free choice oyster shell.

The problem with chick starter is not only is it too low in protein, it is also lacking in the necessary amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin.

If you can't find the right kind of feed locally, Chewy is an option.

I find that talking to local feed stores and explaining why the guineas need the kind of feed they need can be helpful in getting them to stock what is needed.
I live in Canada, Chewy isn't an option. Nor is finding another feed supplier as there are only 2 in total, both make the same % feed. If it could be found I'd have found it.

FYI, while hard boiled eggs are an excellent food, it is not high protein. It is only about 12% protein.

The people claiming it is high protein ignore the fact that it is high protein based on dry weight. No one is feeding eggs dry. Cooked eggs still contain about the same per cent of water as raw eggs making it about 88 % water and 12% protein.
Eggs what we have a lot of, so eggs are what they get as a treat and extra. Raw, hard cooked, scrambled, omelettes, whatever. They also like cheese. No one has a perfect food for guineas as they are from Africa, and we are not. So I'm doing my best.

Eggs what we have a lot of, so eggs are what they get as a treat and extra. Raw, hard cooked, scrambled, omelettes, whatever. They also like cheese. No one has a perfect food for guineas as they are from Africa, and we are not. So I'm doing my best.
Hard boiled and peeled is the best way. It adds the least foreign content and cooked is better than raw. The nutrients have been proven to be more readily available to them if they are cooked rather than raw.

Back
Top Bottom