Male Guinea Hen attacking all other birds

xSilkieLover13x

Chirping
Jul 20, 2016
PA
So I'm new to this whole Guinea fowl thing. Up until about a week ago I thought I had two female Guineas....turns out I'm pretty sure one is a male. They are so hard to tell apart by look, but going by actions I think I figured it out. I got them as Keets in May and they were raised with 11 Silkie chicks and two Ducklings. I know its more common for a female to lay eggs the spring after she is hatched, but shes been laying in a tall weedy area that we have scrap laying in and when she does that, the male goes into attack mode. He hasn't gone after me or my boyfriend or his parents and he doesn't go after our Alpha hen, but he goes after all other animals, including the silkies he grew up with. Doesn't matter if its a hen or a rooster, he attacks them. He just started doing it a week ago and that's when I determined she is actually a he. With that being said, if he is protecting the female and a nest, how do I go about finding the nest and how do I relocate it and the female into a coop?
I posted in the Guinea Fowl Enthusiasts group on Facebook but no one answered me.

Last edited:
well, Most guineafowl came from variet species.
The helmeted gunea is more amazing to watch around the farm, with its noisy and Boring attitude. they are very social birds from region of arid. Although they are domesticated but never got truly tame.

The cocks become aggressive,especiall during the laying/breedin period. with humpbacked displays,chirpings and lot of chasing. They love to fight. I' can say they are War-ants :) ohk.
The hen is very secretive about the spot of her eggs, and if she's disturbed or feel unsafe she may abondon it and never come back.
It is rare for females to become aggressive but although they may be little fights among.
sexing can be difficult,but the easiest is to listen to the two reapeting call of a hen sunding like "come home, come home"
Some people can tell the sex by looking to the build of the body, as that females have flat backs and shorter legs, with smaller heads,and back pulled tails.
while males are humpbacked, broad heads and taller. looking the colour of an eye, males usually have darker than hens.

for a nest, look for a lone male hanging about, near tall grass. if you do find the nest, take the eggs and put them under a sitting hen or incubator. to leave a hen outside is very dangerous...

I found that for "sexing" the pin feathers on the male are shorter. My male and 2 girls are 5 months and the egg timer has for the most part ticked off. No eggs in 3 days and the girls aren't interested in going into the tomato patch. I did have a question. Fritz my male became so HATEFUL today when I tidied up the penthouse. He actually pecked and flew at me. I can only guess it was because the girls decided to come and eat while I was cleaning. Just shocked me and is this normal for them to go all terminator on you? My girls are docile and sweet unless they are laying in the tomato plants.

Thanks!1

I found that for "sexing" the pin feathers on the male are shorter.  My male and 2 girls are 5 months and the egg timer has for the most part ticked off.  No eggs in 3 days and the girls aren't interested in going into the tomato patch.  I did have a question.  Fritz my male became so HATEFUL today when I tidied up the penthouse. He actually pecked and flew at me.  I can only guess it was because the girls decided to come and eat while I was cleaning.  Just shocked me and is this normal for them to go all terminator on you? My girls are docile and sweet unless they are laying in the tomato plants.

Thanks!1

Yeah my Bouncie did that. Bit like roosters. Sometimes they get cocky and you just have to pick them up and put them back in their place.

Back
Top Bottom