Male Guinea Survived Crop Surgery 11 days ago.

babysrealdad

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2024
N.E. Pennsylvania
Hello, my guinea was terrible dehydrated. Problem Solved. He had a bad impacted crop, had surgery 11 days ago.. When he drinks he squeeks as if it bothers him. He jumps up about 18 inches at night to perch. Perches all night with no problem. When the vet 1st took the xray Feb1st the xray showed a dark spot on one entire side of his lung.. The vet was upset because shes only able to prescribe oxytetracycline of which he has had 5 doses of so far. I have had to feed him with a suringe by hand because hes still not eating..He eats watermellon slices on his own accord. I have read about CRD and gapeworms. The loss of appetite points to CRD. However he has tried to eat but its almost like it hurts him to eat.. Remember he even squeeks most times he drinks. He seems to be able to swallow the mashed Emeraide from the vet but he fights me off the entire time during the feeding process. We have started giving him 80% origanol carvacrol along with vetrx but it was only 1 time daily. Today I decided to start that 3 times a day.. I am thinking, is it possible that even though the vet removed the stitches and said hes fine to eat again, is it possible that he is still very sore in his crop from the surgery? About 4 days ago was the 1st time he was healed enough that we let him walk and he staggered to maintain his balance. We assumed it was from stiff leg muscles due to not being able to walk around for 2 weeks or more.. We just passed it off as nothing.
They today he started doing something brand new. Staggering sideways, falling over, walking backwards then forwards. What could be going on here? It hurts to watch him.

It could take more time to get those muscles all working properly again.

I would give him vitamin supplements such as Poultry Cell which would help support muscles and also probiotics. Sugarfree Greek yogurt or powdered probiotics for water are all good sources of probiotics he needs after having antibiotics.

I'd keep this up for two weeks. I sure hope he improves!

Back
Top Bottom