Male Khaki Campbell found dead

fifenashia

Songster
May 15, 2011
Eastern Kentucky
Yesterday my youngest son went down to put all the birds up in the coop so we could let the dogs romp and he found our 6 month old Khaki Campbell Drake floating in his kiddie pool/pond. No signs of injury, no physical deformities of any kind and our female 18month old Mallard was swimming right alongside him. No clue what the heck happened!!! All the chickens and duckie appear to be healthy this morning. The pool water s kind of grody with algae and whatnot but the other duck is fine today. My husband went ahead and buried him but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the breed that would help explain how a perfectly healthy duck just keels over while swimming!

He was eating and drinking fine, all the females in the group are laying still so I'm assuming stress was not a problem, they have been together for months now and get along great, they have free range of about an acre fenced in back yard daily and also have layer pellets, fresh water and the occasional fruit or veggie treat (none in a few days though as I have been working late) I had sand at the bottom of the coop and there is a pile of sand in yard for the chickens to dustbathe in and use as grit if wanted. I think I have done everything right, but apparently not...

I truly don't expect to know what happened, but If I can prevent the loss of anymore... they are family pets...
hit.gif

Last edited:
Thank you all for the
hugs.gif

I guess even knowing wouldn't really help much. He's still gone
hit.gif
But the rest of the flock seem to be doing well today, I let them out and gave them some special treats and extra attention. Thanks again you all.

Back
Top Bottom