Male Lady amherst pheasant, swollen eyes, sneezing, mucous, weight loss

KansasKid

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 7, 2010
South East Kansas
I have a male pheasant who started having a mild sneeze a few days ago, today i noticed his eye lids were swollen. There was no crust or mucous around them just swollen. His nares were clogged with dried mucous that i cleared with the end of my needle that i used to give him 1cc of baytril in the breast which was the only thing i have on hand. This bird is in my quarantine pen as i bought him and a female a week or so ago. Before buying i felt of them both and they seemed to have proper weight. Feeling of him today it just felt like his breast was a lot smaller than i remember. This is most likely something they caught from the quarantine pen from improper cleaning on my part which makes me feel a little bad so if someone could please help answer the following if they have dealt with similar symptoms...

What antibiotic to use?
Injectable or water soluble?
Anything i can do presently for nares and eyes?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Noticed today that his eyes weren't swollen and he was perkier and was even perching on a branch in the quarantine pen. He still had mucous and was rasping sounding. I gave him another 1cc shot in the other side of his breast.

I normally use liquid Baytril down the throat. Since that is not working I would switch to Tylan 50 or LA 200. Note with this illness he may never fully recover but go into a carrier state. Sounds like Mg or Coryza if he has a smell.... Poor boy.

I normally use liquid Baytril down the throat. Since that is not working I would switch to Tylan 50 or LA 200. Note with this illness he may never fully recover but go into a carrier state. Sounds like Mg or Coryza if he has a smell.... Poor boy.

Smell? Im not familiar with the the symptoms of mg or coryza. He doesn't act too bad.. haven't heard him sneeze. But sounds like he has mucous still on the lungs. I need to talk to my vet about some lasix maybe

most everything i have read so far calls for treatment for at least 5 days so i'm not expecting miracles right at the moment just a little more progress...

Back
Top Bottom