Male or female

Toxicity 321

Chirping
Sep 5, 2020
Minnesota
We have 2 white king pigeons and we dont know if the one Bonnie is a female when we purchased them we purchased them as a pair and we have been wait for them to mate but they fight and he doesn't woo her so it got me thinking she might be a he how can I tell?

We have 2 white king pigeons and we dont know if the one Bonnie is a female when we purchased them we purchased them as a pair and we have been wait for them to mate but they fight and he doesn't woo her so it got me thinking she might be a he how can I tell?
Can you post a picture of them
Maybe it will be easier to tell

You can't tell with pigeons until they lay an egg or get genetic testing. There are some behavior indications, but they only really show with courting.

Furthermore, male pigeons sometimes court and become mates with each other.

The fighting is an indicator, just not a definite one.

Sorry, pigeons are tricky : ) I didn't know my girl was in fact a girl until she stuck her beak into my mouth.

You can't tell with pigeons until they lay an egg or get genetic testing. There are some behavior indications, but they only really show with courting.

Furthermore, male pigeons sometimes court and become mates with each other.

The fighting is an indicator, just not a definite one.

Sorry, pigeons are tricky : ) I didn't know my girl was in fact a girl until she stuck her beak into my mouth.
You can tell with pigeons, even without a genetic test, and often before they are mature, if you can hold them in person. Utility breeds can be tougher, but still possible.

How is your pigeon sticking her beak in your mouth an indicator? Both male and female pigeons do this.

@Toxicity 321 , can you post a video? That could help. Fighting could mean two males, or an un-bonded pair. Can you separate them a week, so they can't hear and see each other? After the week, put them back together and see if they are excited and begin courting, or excited and begin fighting. It's likely they were separated from their mates when sold, so they may be waiting to see if they can get back with their mates, before repairing. :(

You can tell with pigeons, even without a genetic test, and often before they are mature, if you can hold them in person. Utility breeds can be tougher, but still possible.

How is your pigeon sticking her beak in your mouth an indicator? Both male and female pigeons do this.

@Toxicity 321 , can you post a video? That could help. Fighting could mean two males, or an un-bonded pair. Can you separate them a week, so they can't hear and see each other? After the week, put them back together and see if they are excited and begin courting, or excited and begin fighting. It's likely they were separated from their mates when sold, so they may be waiting to see if they can get back with their mates, before repairing. :(
I own a utility breed. The males and females are identical, and I have never heard of the female feeding the male during courtship. Or rather, the male or demanding to be fed. Perhaps the behavior is simply different according to breeds.

I own a utility breed. The males and females are identical, and I have never heard of the female feeding the male during courtship. Or rather, the male or demanding to be fed. Perhaps the behavior is simply different according to breeds.
I do not own a utility breed, so I'm sure you know more about them then me.

But, is there really not a difference at all? males slightly bigger, bolder, bossier, etc? Do the males call the hen to the nest? are the hens bones near the vent the same as the males? They have to be farther apart to lay eggs. What about once they are paired? Are there any differences? Hens do feed males, just not as often. What breed of utility birds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom