male or female

nemobiss

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
polson mt
I have a black crestin duck and now has bright green colors and i have a brown and white pekin i cant tell if one is female or male.im new at this these are mt first ducks they are 13 weeks old

Lol i have one of each and it is going to be interesting.im new at all this well hipefully soon they will get it right thank you for sharing that with me me.i love all the input.

these are my ducks

Usually voice is a dead giveaway with mallard derived ducks, my calls for instance by about 5wks i could start to hear voice changes, ducks quack drakes have this garble almost lack of voicing altogether. Now feathering can be a way as well but that varies with the breeds, for instance my grey calls the drake looks just like a mini mallard drake.

Hope that helps at least a bit.
welcome-byc.gif

Hi Nemobiss! Welcome! Sorry it took awhile to get your question answered, sometimes posts get missed. I bet soon others will be on go tell you their opinions too, just bcz that's the way it seems to go. But in the meantime, I'll tell you what I think. Disclaimer: I can only see a small pic, so I might be missing some details, and the way the colors look to me (as I'm seeing them on my screen) might be inaccurate.

At 13 wks, your ducks are too young for the drake feather or an egg, but I think I see a green bill on that duck in the front. And you said "bright green colors". Like the head? That says male to me. Your crested duck looks like it has a black bill, my females here have black bills. My guess is you've got one of each. How about their sounds? A female duck will have a distinct quack, a drake will sound more raspy and quieter. BTW, I had Pekin Crosses that looked like your duck in the front. (Or sort of Sweedish-looking). I love the way these ducks look! :)

Hi Nemobiss! Welcome! Sorry it took awhile to get your question answered, sometimes posts get missed. I bet soon others will be on go tell you their opinions too, just bcz that's the way it seems to go. But in the meantime, I'll tell you what I think. Disclaimer: I can only see a small pic, so I might be missing some details, and the way the colors look to me (as I'm seeing them on my screen) might be inaccurate.

At 13 wks, your ducks are too young for the drake feather or an egg, but I think I see a green bill on that duck in the front. And you said "bright green colors". Like the head? That says male to me. Your crested duck looks like it has a black bill, my females here have black bills. My guess is you've got one of each. How about their sounds? A female duck will have a distinct quack, a drake will sound more raspy and quieter. BTW, I had Pekin Crosses that looked like your duck in the front. (Or sort of Sweedish-looking). I love the way these ducks look! :)

i hope this is a better picture the brown one is louder seems to take charge the black one is not as loud and has the green colors coming in now

Back
Top Bottom