Male Pekin Ducks Over Fighting

You can try covering maybe cut a sock and make something that will fit over his head down onto his neck but it’s not going to work very well especially if it stays wet. I can even use dog x pens and scrap pieces of lattice to separate if I need too. This drake is being abused if you’re okay with that then the poor boy would be better off eaten than through this daily.
Thanks for the advice, I will make sure to throw him to the coyotes later this day 👍

I don’t mean to sound harsh but if you’re going to own ducks it’s your responsibility to keep them safe
He is not safe and being bullied badly
Either make temporary separation both in the run and in the coop or find him a loving home where he will be kept safe
I would never allow this to happen in my flock
I have both an extra pen outside that when high hormone season is in I can keep some separated. I also have a blocked off space in my duck house where mom and dad sleep at night so my dad and son don’t fight where there is nowhere to run or get away
I have never had one fight to where plucking like that is happening and I still make safety areas and separating
This is high hormone season and it will calm down in time but for now this bird needs to feel safe !!!!

Why can’t you separate so he doesn’t get abused? More than likely they are raping him too if not yet it will happen
I have been separating him from the others inside their house for the past several days. the issue with it is that the others do not have access to their house and he has to be locked up for most of the day as well as no access to the pool unless supervised, which I do not have the time to do 24/7. it feels a bit cruel and doesn't seem like a very good long term solution, hence why I was asking specifically for suggestions that did not involve separating them. the coop is also laid out in a way that makes it difficult to separate. next time please do not jump to conclusions, I wouldn't be looking for solutions if I didn't care about my ducks, thanks.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to sound harsh but if you’re going to own ducks it’s your responsibility to keep them safe
He is not safe and being bullied badly
Either make temporary separation both in the run and in the coop or find him a loving home where he will be kept safe
I would never allow this to happen in my flock
I have both an extra pen outside that when high hormone season is in I can keep some separated. I also have a blocked off space in my duck house where mom and dad sleep at night so my dad and son don’t fight where there is nowhere to run or get away
I have never had one fight to where plucking like that is happening and I still make safety areas and separating
This is high hormone season and it will calm down in time but for now this bird needs to feel safe !!!!
unfortunately I don't have the space or time to make an extra pen, but I've been keeping him separated inside of the coop for the last several days. I'm hoping that is enough to get through spring, however as stated in previous replies I'm a bit concerned about how well of an alternative this is. thank you for your response though, it is appreciated!

Try the clutter in your run, and if that doesn’t help the best thing may be to find a loving home for your duck. It is extremely stressful on them to live in this situation. I trust you will do the right thing.

Try the clutter in your run, and if that doesn’t help the best thing may be to find a loving home for your duck. It is extremely stressful on them to live in this situation. I trust you will do the right thing.
not sure how well clutter would help, it's hard for him to run away and I feel like any tunnels would just scare him

not sure how well clutter would help, it's hard for him to run away and I feel like any tunnels would just scare him
For birds out of sight= out of mind. It is helpful for the bullied duck to have places to go. It absolutely may not work, but at this point I think it is your last option. If you aren’t able to seperate, then rehoming would be best. The other ducks may drown him

Back
Top Bottom