Male to Female Ratio for a coop that holds 8

May 30, 2023
Hey all! I’m new to raising quail and I’ve read that male to female ratio is very important for the quails health and safety. The coop plans we built house 8 quail each. And two coops stack so we can house a total of 16 but two different coveys. Would 7 females to 1 male be an appropriate or safe ratio for them? I’ve read that 5 females to one male is ideal but with the coop only holding 8 and mainly looking for egg production over breeding I worry that 6 females to 2 males would not be a good ratio

Hey all! I’m new to raising quail and I’ve read that male to female ratio is very important for the quails health and safety. The coop plans we built house 8 quail each. And two coops stack so we can house a total of 16 but two different coveys. Would 7 females to 1 male be an appropriate or safe ratio for them? I’ve read that 5 females to one male is ideal but with the coop only holding 8 and mainly looking for egg production over breeding I worry that 6 females to 2 males would not be a good ratio
The only thing you will be giving up is fertility %. So, if you are more wanting eggs for eating, I would have a pen of 8 hens for laying only with no male. And other pen with your 7 hens and 1 male for eating and hatching if needed. You don't have to keep males with hens only if you want fertile hatching eggs.

The only thing you will be giving up is fertility %. So, if you are more wanting eggs for eating, I would have a pen of 8 hens for laying only with no male. And other pen with your 7 hens and 1 male for eating and hatching if needed. You don't have to keep males with hens only if you want fertile hatching eggs.
Thanks! Yes I want to be able to hatch as needed so I want one pen with fertile eggs

Back
Top Bottom