Male to female ratio?

Hawkesy

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2015
Prestwick, Scotland.
Hey folks, with a dozen eggs currently incubating, and due relatively soon, I am starting to think about my next batch of hatching eggs.

I am curious as to whether there are any particular breeds that generally produce more pullets than cockerels or if it is simply up to chance?

Of course there are sex link eggs which makes its easy to determine early on (that's what we have incubating just now) but I'd rather keep the roo numbers low althogether and not have to worry about finding them new homes etc. Thank you!

I don't think there are any breeds that have more females than males. You could try to find some one who wants heritage breed roosters and make a deal with them. You get all the pullets and they get all the roosters for meat and you could raise some of the meatier breeds like Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks and Dorkings.

I don't think there are any breeds that have more females than males. You could try to find some one who wants heritage breed roosters and make a deal with them. You get all the pullets and they get all the roosters for meat and you could raise some of the meatier breeds like Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks and Dorkings.

I quite like this idea actually. A pre arranged deal would make things easier if cockerel numbers are going to be consistent, thank you!

I quite like this idea actually. A pre arranged deal would make things easier if cockerel numbers are going to be consistent, thank you!
I have 7 different breeds of chickens, from bantams to hybrids to purebreds, and over the long run I hatch almost equal numbers of roosters and hens from each breed. If you are going to hatch eggs, there are always going to be too many roosters. I am in the US, but I get rid of my excess roosters by selling them at bulk prices. Typically I can sell a young pullet for $12-15 USD, but I will advertise roosters 4 for $20 USD. This has allowed me to find people in my area that want meat chickens, and once you find those customers, they will be repeat customers. I usually don't even have to advertise any more, I just call them when the roosters are ready

You could pay attention to which eggs each hen lays and track which hens tend to produce more females. Then you can avoid hatching the eggs from the girls that tend to only make boys. Whether or not the eggs hatch out male or female is more down to the individual hens rather than breed.

Back
Top Bottom