Male turkey packing females head- normal?

Leese13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
I have a male turkey (about 2yrs old) and have recently got 2 female ones. I am not sure of their age, but must be close to a year old now. Today I noticed the female on the ground, in a crouching position, with the male then stomping on top of her. I have read that this is normal mating behaviour (?). But he was then quite violently pecking at her head, and it sounded awful and she did not seem too pleased by this. I would like to know if this is normal or should I be stopping the pecking by separating them?
They are housed with 2 chickens and a duck in an area about 15m x 35m. The duck doesn't put up with any crap from the male or females for that matter, but the male turkey does occasionally try to do his thing with the chickens. Anyone with any information to help would be great.
Thanks

I have a male turkey (about 2yrs old) and have recently got 2 female ones. I am not sure of their age, but must be close to a year old now. Today I noticed the female on the ground, in a crouching position, with the male then stomping on top of her. I have read that this is normal mating behaviour (?). But he was then quite violently pecking at her head, and it sounded awful and she did not seem too pleased by this. I would like to know if this is normal or should I be stopping the pecking by separating them?
They are housed with 2 chickens and a duck in an area about 15m x 35m. The duck doesn't put up with any crap from the male or females for that matter, but the male turkey does occasionally try to do his thing with the chickens. Anyone with any information to help would be great.
Thanks
That is relatively normal mating behavior. Most birds peck at the female's head when they are mating, though some do it more vicously then others. If he gets too rough, and he inures the female turkeys, then I would separate them. But if he isn't harming them, then he is just doing what he was meant to do, and separating isn't that necessary. Most female birds get used to the constant attention of the males, and will avoid them if they don't want to be mated.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been checking them every day and it all seems well, so it must have just been a bit of feisty loving from the male.
D.gif

my male turkey is doing the same thing when he wants to mate with my 2 females and that are around the same age and I was out there and he was doing it and after I stoped him I saw that her head was bleeding what should I do

my male turkey is doing the same thing when he wants to mate with my 2 females and that are around the same age and I was out there and he was doing it and after I stoped him I saw that her head was bleeding what should I do
This thread is from 2013. Neither of the participants is currently active on BYC. You would be better off to start your own thread.

The other day my Red bourbon tried to mate with my Narragansett female she laid down for him, he got on her back but it looked like he could not reach her cloaca. Do they know what to do or do they learn from other Male turkeys?

He also chases my new Broad breasted female all over the pasture and pecking at her is this normal?

The other day my Red bourbon tried to mate with my Narragansett female she laid down for him, he got on her back but it looked like he could not reach her cloaca. Do they know what to do or do they learn from other Male turkeys?
It is instinctive behavior. Not all toms are good breeders. The ones with poor techniques don't normally get better at it.

Back
Top Bottom