Mallard Duck

chickschool

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Traverse City, MI
Hello,

I have a lovely female duck that has chosen to lay her eggs in a small alcove at the school where I work. The first year she did it they got eaten by something 😕 and then last year none of them hatched. And she’s back. She has chosen a really bad spot due the high traffic and children running around. She needs to be moved. I know most of you will say leave her alone but that isn’t an option. I have chickens, ducks and geese so I thought I’ll just go grab her and move her to one of many lakes a few miles away but I forgot that they can fly! I felt really, really stupid. 🤪 Anyway, she needs to go so I’m wondering what the most humane and un-stressful as possible way to catch and move her.

Any advice is most appreciated.
Melissa

Hello,

I have a lovely female duck that has chosen to lay her eggs in a small alcove at the school where I work. The first year she did it they got eaten by something 😕 and then last year none of them hatched. And she’s back. She has chosen a really bad spot due the high traffic and children running around. She needs to be moved. I know most of you will say leave her alone but that isn’t an option. I have chickens, ducks and geese so I thought I’ll just go grab her and move her to one of many lakes a few miles away but I forgot that they can fly! I felt really, really stupid. 🤪 Anyway, she needs to go so I’m wondering what the most humane and un-stressful as possible way to catch and move her.

Any advice is most appreciated.
Melissa
It is unlikely a wild duck will accept being moved any distance. Remove the eggs and destroy the nest. Is there a teacher there that could hatch the eggs? You? Every year we hatched something in my science classroom. The children were thrilled and there was always a parent, or more, who were happy to take the ducklings, chicks home and raise them.

You can see if there is a local wildlife rescue. They should be able to help you and decide what can and can't be done. In some areas, there are a lot of rules regarding wild mallards. Even your local animal control may know who you can contact. Some local animal control work with rescue and rehab organizations.

I would totally love to incubate the eggs. I don’t have an incubator and I’ve never done it before. I’ve been told it can be tricky. Plus, I can’t have 12 ducks. It they are raised by humans can they be released later? I wouldn’t think so but I have no idea.

I would totally love to incubate the eggs. I don’t have an incubator and I’ve never done it before. I’ve been told it can be tricky. Plus, I can’t have 12 ducks. It they are raised by humans can they be released later? I wouldn’t think so but I have no idea.
You cannot release them if they have been raised by humans, unless you know what you are doing. You would have to speak with local wildlife rescue. And it is illegal to own wild mallards.

Good to know. Thanks
I do think it is great that you are trying to help out the mallard and her nest. You may still be able to hatch and release them. There is someone else on here who is doing that and got info from her local organization on how to do it properly. It is going to be a lot more of a hands off thing so they don't become attached to people. I hope everything goes well for that girl's nest.

Back
Top Bottom