Mallard duckling behavior

BigKitty09

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Rolling Hills Estates, Ca
Our rescued mallard duckling is 2 weeks old, will she start to detach herself from us as she grows. She stopped following us as die-hard as she did a couple of days ago and no longer likes being held though she will still rest in our laps. What should we expect from him/her over the next few weeks?

mallards are naturally skiddish. As I understand it, mine are from close to genetically wild ducks, so they are skiddish but they recognize me as their source of tasty purina gamebird chow.

I raised my 4 mallards from day olds and they run from me as soon as I enter the coop. I can get near them with treats, but forget about touching them.
sad.png

If it is in a new place or scared or lost, it might fly towards you if you call its name.
smile.png
I have 3 mallards. 2 males and 1 female. One of the pair flew away for a while and the other male flew towards me and pecked at my feet after I called its name.

Sudden movements make them very nervous...

I have two Mallard ducks that are about 8/9 weeks old now and they are very friendly. I got them when they were just a few days old. I also have 2 Pekins and a blue Swedish and by far my mallards are the friendliest. None of them love to be picked up but the mallards do like to jump on my lap and take their naps. My mallard female just got her big girl voice and she is not happy when i get out of her sight! She has also discovered that my shovel is a source of worms so now she helps me dig holes lol.. well I dig and she quickly scans the hole to see if we found any worms. So don't get discouraged just give it lots of attention and peas!

Last edited:
sad.png
as predicted by another user. My sweet winnie flew away and hasnt been home for the last 3 days. She was so sweet and still followed us around and sat in our laps, but then she started learning how to fly and flew away one day. She came back the day after and stayed the night. then the next day she flew away again and hasnt come back since. I think she is over at the botanical gardens down the street which has a pond and other ducks. Hopefully she comes home tomorrow. Or at least bring home her squeeze and have little duckies here
fl.gif

96560_img_0298.jpg

96560_img_0307.jpg

96560_img_0344.jpg

96560_img_0372.jpg

96560_img_0382.jpg

Back
Top Bottom