Mallard duckling half the size of siblings

JessTylin

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2022
Hey all, I have a question! It might be a dumb question but I’ve never raised Mallards before so I have no idea.

Basically, I bought three mallard ducklings from the local big brand feed store. I wasn’t going to buy any ducklings this year as I already had some hatch, but they were the last three and on sale and you know how it is. Plus my dad loves mallards so I thought I could surprise him.

But, the three mallards are growing, about a month now, and one is half the size of the other two. I would assume she just hatched later than the others but she’s maturing at the same rate in terms of feathers and coloring.

I normally wouldn’t be bothered but I’ve read someone talking about buying mallards and getting Rouens instead before. Is it possible I bought mallards and got some Rouens and a Mallard? Or is it more likely that she’s just a runt? (Nothing against Rouens, of course, but they were marked Mallards so it’s a matter of principle as I quite liked this particular store in terms of quality and getting what you think you bought)

The small one is the one with the green shine on the head. Sorry, it’s hard to get good pictures because they’ve been on the pond lately in the afternoon (for supervised swimming) and they’re always so excited when they’re in their day pen now, they just know I’m gonna let them out into the pond every time they see me so they start zooming.

IMG_1287.jpeg
IMG_1286.jpeg

That’s what I was starting to think, assuming she isn’t just a runt.
Its 100% 2 rouens and a mallard. She is most definitely not a runt, I've raised many mallards before and the runts usually don't survive long and if they do they always fail to thrive. Your mallard on the other hand seems to be very healthy good job on that! Also, notice how your mallard is in a more horizontal position where as the rouens stand more vertical. This is one of the main ways I differentiate between mallards and rouens.

Hey all, I have a question! It might be a dumb question but I’ve never raised Mallards before so I have no idea.

Basically, I bought three mallard ducklings from the local big brand feed store. I wasn’t going to buy any ducklings this year as I already had some hatch, but they were the last three and on sale and you know how it is. Plus my dad loves mallards so I thought I could surprise him.

But, the three mallards are growing, about a month now, and one is half the size of the other two. I would assume she just hatched later than the others but she’s maturing at the same rate in terms of feathers and coloring.

I normally wouldn’t be bothered but I’ve read someone talking about buying mallards and getting Rouens instead before. Is it possible I bought mallards and got some Rouens and a Mallard? Or is it more likely that she’s just a runt? (Nothing against Rouens, of course, but they were marked Mallards so it’s a matter of principle as I quite liked this particular store in terms of quality and getting what you think you bought)

The small one is the one with the green shine on the head. Sorry, it’s hard to get good pictures because they’ve been on the pond lately in the afternoon (for supervised swimming) and they’re always so excited when they’re in their day pen now, they just know I’m gonna let them out into the pond every time they see me so they start zooming.

View attachment 3541967View attachment 3542000
To me it looks like mallard drake and then 2 Rouens. I have those and still don’t know their sex. 🤷‍♀️

My Drakes all seem to have a squared off tail end and the Hens a more pointed one but I don't know if that is a way you can sex them or not. I too think it is 2 Rouen and 1 Mallard but the Mallard has a more pointed tail end so I am not sure about the sexes of them.

View attachment 3541967View attachment 3542000
I bought 5 mallards a few months ago and there was one who was smaller and would always get left out and got stuck in our kiddie pool multiple times. We were worried about him as well because he hadn't really changed as our our other ducks had almost lost all their baby feathers after making sure he was eating and drinking and ofc time he now is bigger ad healthier than my other mallards. One of my other males is almost completely gray on his belly now while he is just starting to change. Don't worry about it not all ducks grow at the same pace and mine are still scared of me the best thing you can do is just spend time with them. Sit out there while they are roaming and eating and just stay close to them they will get used to you.

The one with the double eye stripe seems to be a Rouen. Rouen ducks have the double eye stripe. The other could be a male Mallard which is bigger than the females and the smaller one could just be a female. Right now I have 3 that are big and green bills so I am almost positive they are boys. I also have Rouen and Adult Mallards. Good luck with yours, they are really pretty.

Back
Top Bottom