Malposistioned and drying membrane

notbefore

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I have a chick that pipped today it's membrane is dry but it's pipped the wrong end the air sac is still completely intact it's beak is where the hole is.

I've moistened and chiped away a bit more of the shell for it, put it back in the incubator as still chirping.

ok it is important to note the time of the pip. under normal conditions, the chick would pip into the air cell (internal pip) but this did not happen with your chick. the chick usually takes another 12 hours before it externally pips.
after externally pipping, it can be another 12 hours until it starts to zip. so at a MINIMUM I would give it 24 hours to sit in the shell and absorb. Also during this absorb time, turn the pip upward so any liquid still in the egg doesn't drip down into the nostrils & beak.

it is most likely that it won't be able to zip due to malposition since it pipped the wrong end. it is possible though!!! they have to use their feet to spin around in the shell, so it completely depends on how they are positioned in the egg. I had a chick who pipped the bottom of the shell zip itself completely before.

just keep the membrane moistened and check on it often. don't chip away any more shell for at least 24 hours or it could rip a vein and cause bleeding; the veins are still active at this time.

I like to use neosporin or anti-biotic ointment (without pain reliever) to keep it moistened, it soaks into the membrane and keeps it from sticking to the chick, longer than water will.

read more about intervention:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch
make sure to give it 24 hours first!

Last edited:
I have left it well alone since first checking it.

Still alive in there this morning, still moving its beak so happy to leave it sat there, if it starts to stop being so alive and active I will get it out.

After 24hrs from the pip, you can start removing bits of shell. The membrane should look white and solid, as it dries out it will turn yellow. Yellow membrane will glue onto the chick, so it is very important to keep all the exposed membrane moistened with neosporin or anti-biotic ointment.

When you moisten the membrane, previously invisible veins will become visible. They should start receeding, shrinking away until you can't see them anymore. You may have to put it back and give it more times, if there are veins visible. Once the veins are receeded, you can feel confident proceeding with intervention.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

Since we had gone 24 hours I popped back in and re moistened the membrane and popped back a bit more shell. ( edit to add I had been keeping the membrane moist anyway just the shell I left alone for 24 hours)

Went out for 2 hours and came home to him/her zipping however the dried parts of the membrane kept giving him/her trouble and we ended up with one leg completely out just kicking around at nothing. I broke the dried membrane and out he/she popped

Last edited:
hooray! congratulations
thumbsup.gif
post pics!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom