mama bcm accidentally killed too many chicks. give her another chance, yes or no?

Phoenixxx

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2012
Boutilier's Point, Nova Scotia
Exactly a week ago I had a new hatch. 14 I did in the incubator, another 12 were being done by my broody bcm. One of the dozen was booted out of the nest a week prior, leaving her with eleven to finish off.

Hatch day seemed to be going well. I could hear peeping and saw babies poking out. The babies that had hatched were all fluffed so I checked to see how many. There were still eggs left under her, all but one had pipped so I left her to her business. The next day, I checked again, but no new babies! I stole all the eggs one by one and checked them; all but the unpipped one were dead, presumably suffocated as she had placed an empty shell over the pipped end of one of the eggs. The last living egg I finished in the incubator.

So, now my broody was left with seven living, fluffy chicks. All good, right? Nope. Next day, one was missing. After digging through the hay, I found it dead in the middle of the nest. Okay, stuff happens - the dead chick was a banty so I figured it was just too little to be under such a large mama. So now she was down to six. A couple days ago I lost another one and this morning found YET ANOTHER dead in the nest!

I decided not to trust her with the now remaining four and stole them from her this morning. Boy, was she mad! She's STILL grumbling about it!

During the days, she was an excellent, highly protective mother. This suffocating babies thing, is it because it may have been her first hatch? (I don't know her history, she's "used/second-hand" :p ) If she goes broody again in the future, should I give her another chance?

Raising chicks with a hen is hit and miss, sometimes a great mother will always work out for you but other times they will have one batch that they end up killing for one reason or another. The only way you can be sure is to take the chicks away when they hatch. Your decision will depend on how much risk you are willling or able to live with.

If I do allow her to brood again, I will most certainly be more vigilant about monitoring the hatch process so that I can intervene in time. As for raising them, I wonder if she's just plain too big and heavy to sit on babies? Or maybe a super deep sleeper that she doesn't notice when there's trouble? Shame, really - I'm lazy by nature and would have loved to have had her do all the work!

Back
Top Bottom