Mama guinea left the nest but some eggs are still peeping

BlueShadow

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2015
Nebraska
You can read the story of my surprise here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/guess-what-showed-up-in-the-field-today.1189217/

But the short version is, mama guinea left her nest. I was curious so I went to find it, and several eggs weren't hatched yet. One is halfway hatched, has a nice hole broken in the shell, at least 2 others are peeping at me.

Can they be saved? I have an OLD still air incubator, I assume it works but have never tried. My main incubator is on loan to a friend.

If you act fast and check the temp to make sure its correct----get the humidity up----for sure will stand a better chance than doing nothing. Good Luck!

Temp is 90F (still air incubator) and rising.

What temp/humidity should I aim for with hatching guineas? I've only hatched chicks in a forced air incubator.

I am late----101 on top of the eggs

That's okay. As it turns out, the incubator is absolutely awful at maintaining any sort of temperature so it bounced between 99 and 104 overnight. One little peeper still alive, I don't know, he's gotta do a lot of work to still get out of his shell.

That's okay. As it turns out, the incubator is absolutely awful at maintaining any sort of temperature so it bounced between 99 and 104 overnight. One little peeper still alive, I don't know, he's gotta do a lot of work to still get out of his shell.
You might gently help---if you see blood, just stop for a while. When I open my hatcher to remove chicks---day 22 for chickens--if there is a partly hatched egg, to weak to hatch---its usually ready-----I just break all the shell off---no blood.

Also if you will fill some drink bottles with 100 degree warm water---your temp in the incubator might stabilize or help. Good Luck

One hatchling

IMG_2309.JPG

Thanks for the water bottle trick, if we need to use the incubator again we will definitely try that

Back
Top Bottom