Manchurian quail, oz snowy, sparkly, splash & lethal gene - 3 questions

MixedBreed

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2022
Hi so I have this new quail, he's appprox 4 weeks in this photo. He was sold as an italian. But I've been told now if there's reddish hue he's manchurian. Now from what I've read manchurians can have the lethal gene (but it doesn't always show up, well that's what I've read)... Firstly is this guy a manchurian?

Secondly when someone says the "lethal gene" I've now read some posts saying that it's only that some don't hatch, but for the "silvers" that they will have some red eyes and blind etc and other health issues. And I've also read that manchurians can have some of the "lethal" gene bred out so that it rarely shows up. Are all these different scenarios true for when someone says "lethal gene"?

Thirdly is there any lethal gene in the: oz snowy, sparkly, and splash varieties? (Some various sellers are selling these colours near me and I'm assuming a splash is like the chickens splash colouring though I haven't seen one yet in person.)

P.S. We are definitely keeping this little guy. He is adorable and is a very calm male (compared to the two other males we have identified one of which is bossy and a little nippy already) but this guy is a gentleman. Love his personality.

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_082914_913.jpg
    IMG_20230713_082914_913.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230713_082918_857.jpg
    IMG_20230713_082918_857.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Italians also have a lethal gene. They'll be fine as long as you don't breed Italian to Italian, Silver to Silver, Manchurian to Manchurian, etc.
If the manchurians and italians are closely related colours, can you breed italian to manchurian?

Italians also have a lethal gene. They'll be fine as long as you don't breed Italian to Italian, Silver to Silver, Manchurian to Manchurian, etc.
That information is so so so incorrect. Italian (heterozygous Fawn) is not lethal and has no known or suspected health defects. Manchurian is homozygous Fawn. You couldn’t even get Manchurians if you couldn’t breed Italians x Italians. Silver and Andalusian are the only ones that should be kept in heterozygous, because homozygous has high mortality rate and health defects.

That information is so so so incorrect. Italian (heterozygous Fawn) is not lethal and has no known or suspected health defects. Manchurian is homozygous Fawn. You couldn’t even get Manchurians if you couldn’t breed Italians x Italians. Silver and Andalusian are the only ones that should be kept in heterozygous, because homozygous has high mortality rate and health defects.
Bro made an account just to drop this.
Lol gotta respect it
Abby Wambach Mic Drop GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

If there are 2 copies of the Y (yellow or Fawn) gene =Homozygous, in either Italian or Manchurian, then you get unviable eggs or DIS (dead in shell), if they do hatch, the survivability of the chicks is around 3 days to 1 week, and could have other deformities. There are many other lethal genes in Coturnix coturnix japonica besides the autosomal incomplete dominate (Fawn) gene.

Without DNA testing, the average Backyard quail raiser has no idea what the genetical makeup of their quail may be....therefore, it's safe to not breed, Italian to Italian or Manchurian to Manchurian, Silver to Silver, etc.

If there are 2 copies of the Y (yellow or Fawn) gene =Homozygous, in either Italian or Manchurian, then you get unviable eggs or DIS (dead in shell), if they do hatch, the survivability of the chicks is around 3 days to 1 week, and could have other deformities. There are many other lethal genes in Coturnix coturnix japonica besides the autosomal incomplete dominate (Fawn) gene.

Without DNA testing, the average Backyard quail raiser has no idea what the genetical makeup of their quail may be....therefore, it's safe to not breed, Italian to Italian or Manchurian to Manchurian, Silver to Silver, etc.
No. Italian is heterozygous Fawn. Manchurian is homozygous Fawn. Fact. You can’t even make Manchurian if both parents don’t have a copy of Fawn (ie: Italian x Italian). So how do you propose Manchurians even exist if your misinformation about Italian being lethal is correct?

I’m not your average backyard breeder. I know exactly what I have. Quail colour genetics is my job that pays the bills. And I’m really sick of people coming to me for help when they’ve received incorrect, misleading, and plain crappy information from this forum!! So yeah, I did join this forum just to drop that comment. And I’ll continue commenting to correct the misinformation.

Fawn is a perfectly healthy mutation located on the Y locus. It is fine in heterozygous and homozygous. Calico is also a perfectly healthy mutation on the Y locus.

Back
Top Bottom