Problems with shipped quail

That is the exact reason I don't ship live birds nor have them shipped to me. All the live birds I had shipped were by air but I had several that were DOA and neither the airlines nor the breeder would reimburse the costs.
I prefer to have eggs shipped but at least I normally receive them in a timely manner and unbroken....even shipping eggs is a huge risk.

Also, to your note about breeders: I emailed SWGB Wednesday evening, when it was looking like the birds were not arriving on time, then again the following morning, Thursday, when the post office called me that they had finally arrived. Then I sent another message when I discovered the deceased one. And I still haven’t heard anything back. Seems strange… I expected to hear back by now considering they have a 72-hour live guarantee. I asked them not to ship a replacement, though, I don’t want to put another quail through that. Maybe that’s why? I’m hoping they’re just a bit behind on emails, maybe.

I wouldn’t mind one, maybe! But yeah it would depend on how he treated my ladies. And I only have the one enclosure, so I couldn’t keep more than one, and finding new homes for the others or culling them would be sad for me 🫣 (big baby over here, in case you couldn’t tell by my original post 😅)
I feel ya I don't think I would be able to kill my birds either. I just try to sell them if I can.

Good on you 👍 They’re just too fragile! Should have trusted my gut on this one. Oh well… live and learn I guess 😔 I’d be much less sad about a couple cracked eggs than a dead bird, at least. But you’re right, none of it is ideal. Time to set myself up as the premier Northern California fancy quail breeder I guess 😅
I used to be the one in Petaluma. Put your ads on craigslist. You'll be one of the very few in the area now.

I'm so sorry this happened to you... that's terrible. I don't know much about live animal shipping, but for the 2 survivors I would add B12 into their water to help perk them up- especially the falb fee

Maybe some scrambled egg would help as well. Keep us updated!

The falb is still doing a bit poorly this morning 🙁 She perked up considerably after I fed her another mash of crumble & warm electrolyte water, but I’m still very worried about her. I can run to the pharmacy for B12 this morning. The pearl is fine as frog hair and zooming around the grow-out box this morning! Glad she’s recovered so quickly.

Thank you to @CloneFly for the B12 suggestion :bow I think that’s made quite an improvement for the falb. She’s perked up significantly, but is still more lethargic than I’d like so I’m still watching her closely and feeding the mash, but I’ve decreased the feedings to every 2-3 hours now. She’s so cute, now she looks for the bowl when I go in there and actually runs toward my hand 🥹

I also took some pics & videos of the babies if anyone’s interested:

Thank you to @CloneFly for the B12 suggestion :bow I think that’s made quite an improvement for the falb. She’s perked up significantly, but is still more lethargic than I’d like so I’m still watching her closely and feeding the mash, but I’ve decreased the feedings to every 2-3 hours now. She’s so cute, now she looks for the bowl when I go in there and actually runs toward my hand 🥹

They look fine. Offer plain feed too please.
Do you have another cage to put them in or are they staying in what they are in in your videos?

Nutri-Drench is really good because it doesn't have to be digested to work. I'd offer them Nutri-Drench water for one more day then switch to plain. You don't want to over due all the extras.

They look fine. Offer plain feed too please.
Do you have another cage to put them in or are they staying in what they are in in your videos?

Yes, sorry I didn’t specify: they have had plain food and water available as well the whole time! And they will be going into the outdoor aviary once they’re settled and I’m sure they’re well enough, probably by Sunday.

I'm glad she's doing better!!

Back
Top Bottom