Mandarin ducks laying eggs

Climax

Songster
Aug 3, 2020
Southern Utah
Ok, so my mandarin ducks started laying eggs, and there is currently 9 eggs in there, I have 4 pairs (1 white pair) of mandarin ducks and I believe 2 are laying in the same box.

Question 1
So... I am debating on taking 8 of the eggs and hatching them myself, and see if they will lay another clutch.

And should I take them all once there is 10 (probably tomorrow) or leave 2 to encourage more laying?

Question 2

Any suggestions for increasing the hatch rate of these non domestic ducks?

Currently, I am going for the 99.5°, 65% humidity from day 1-25, and 75% humidity from 25-28.
I also heard of a thing where you spray them with same temperature water every other day from days 10-25 that I am going to try.

I'm frequently in St. George. I am VERY interested in obtaining some Mandarins of any color or even some hatching eggs if you would sell some. Thanks, Chad [email protected] or 509 494-3141

I'm frequently in St. George. I am VERY interested in obtaining some Mandarins of any color or even some hatching eggs if you would sell some. Thanks, Chad [email protected] or 509 494-3141
After I took my mandarins eggs and put them in the incubator they started to lay more eggs, so I might get some babies or juveniles I can sell to you later this year

Update

My eggs pipped yesterday and are doing pretty good, they aren't chirping but i can see and hear them moving around. Out of the 8 i took, 2 of them had small cracks in them and died within a week of incubation, 2 more died a week after that and now i have 4 of them that have pipped. It is currently day 30 and I am hoping that they hatch today. :)

Although i am a little concerned that they haven't made any more progress since they pipped about 16 hours ago, i believe they just need their time.

My white mandarin hen has been sitting on a clutch of 13 eggs for about 11 days
but one of my other mandarins might be sneaking eggs in her nest when she is off.

Back
Top Bottom