mandarin ducks,what is safe??

gaza

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 30, 2010
hi,i posted a thread about bthese ducks and thier need for a pool.
found out that,a kiddy pool,or large container of water will surfice.
but my question is,before placing an order with the breeder is!!!
i want to keep themi my yard[30x30],which has a picket fence around it.
4 feet tall,and was told this is fine or pinioned birds?
question is=i have had and still have stray cats which roam into my yard.
will the ducks get enough protection from the "pool"
or shouldf i not these ducks?"
gary

Hi Gary, from what you have described I think that the facilities you have will be fine for a few ducks, however is there no way you could deter the cats? after all the ducks will be getting in and out of the pool, and a cat would have any number of opportunities, mine lay sleeping under a tree for a lot of the day!

I would try to build a small pen or put them in or aviary keep them in at least during when your not home or during the night, it would be terrible to buy some mandarins and have a cat get at it, i have mine in a big aviary. You might also try and give them something to hide in like tall ornamental grasses, etc.

Are the cats around pets or free rangers?

Last edited:
without an aviary of some sorts, any pinioned duck will eventually be eaten by something, there's no way around it, all they can do is a belly flop for flight, and cant run for squat on those 2 inch legs, so they are easy pickins to anything from house cats to you name it in the woods.
I wouldnt do it with out a pen if I were you, you'll be sprikiling all kinds of so called deterants out everyday just to see something catch them in a week any way.
House cat kill more birds than just about any wild predator, keep that in mind, if they are hungry, they will get them.

DONT let this discourage you, a 10X10 per will be fine for a pair, just get you a few post and some chicken wire and have at it, they are wonderful birds to have around.
I do have a single hen right now, that believe it or not, is full winged and free ranged, LOL

She roost on top of the bantam pens at night and flys all over the property, but only around the bird pen areas, funny that she never leaves there....theres a 12 acre swamp in our front yard???

Back
Top Bottom