Manual turning... questions!

K95

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2019
Hey all, just got a question on manual turning. Got some eggs set at a new place of work in an incubator without a manual turner. Obviously in automatic turners the eggs are turned one way then back the opposite way. However with this manual turning I have been told they usually rotate 90 degrees in one direction continuously, so the egg will be going through full rotations which a lot of people say not to do? (Egg laid flat, not pointy end down) But then I see people who manual turn 180 degrees daily so again adding up to a full rotation and they get happy healthy chicks!

So should I be turning opposite ways each time or am I safe turning the same way every time?

Please explain why/why not, thanks ☺️☺️

The reason for egg turning is to keep the embryo from "sticking" to one or the other egg wall. A lot of auto egg turners turn only as far as the egg "needs" back and forth to keep it from sticking, but it doesn't hurt to turn it further.
A lot of people find just flipping the eggs to be the easiest choice because it's simple to keep track of. I put an X on one side and an O on the other and flip back and forth 3 or 5 times a day.

The reason for egg turning is to keep the embryo from "sticking" to one or the other egg wall. A lot of auto egg turners turn only as far as the egg "needs" back and forth to keep it from sticking, but it doesn't hurt to turn it further.
A lot of people find just flipping the eggs to be the easiest choice because it's simple to keep track of. I put an X on one side and an O on the other and flip back and forth 3 or 5 times a day.

Thank you! I’ve heard some people talk about stuff getting tangled up if you turn the same way each time, but then hens won’t turn in an opposite direction everytime so I’ve never understood that reasoning!

Definitely mark the eggs, as already stated an X on one side and an O on the other makes it easy to keep track.

Always turning the same direction is fine.

The only big thing to remember is the MORE you turn the better. More turning for some reason increases capillary growth which results in more robust chicks. :confused:

Also, people often say it is good to rotate an odd number of times every day, so the super long stretch of no turning (say from 11pm to 7am) is on a different side each night.

Back
Top Bottom