Maran with redness and scaling between toes

three_grannies

Chirping
Apr 29, 2022
Hello,

I am in my first year of raising backyard chickens, and I was hoping for some help with my 1-year-old Maran, Velma. For the past few months, I have noticed some redness between her toes. I thought maybe it was due to the cold weather, but it seems to be worsening now that it's warming. She has redness between her toes and some scaling. The bottom of her foot shows no redness, swelling, or signs of a bumble. None of the other chickens have issues (however, she is the only feather-legged breed). I haven't noticed obvious lameness. We have deep straw bedding in the coop (for the winter) and sand in the run. The perch is a 2 x 4 wood about 5 feet up (with a ladder, so she doesn't have to jump down).

I wasn't sure if this was bumble foot, scaly leg mites, or something else. Thank you in advance for your help!
IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4564.JPG

I'm not sure. Is the straw refreshed frequently to make sure there are not problems with ammonia on the feet?
I do turn the straw frequently and add fresh layers. They are about due for a coop clean out with the weather warming, so maybe that’s something I’ll try.

Back
Top Bottom