MARANS (All Colors Included) Learning Thread for Newbee's

Greencastle

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
I would like this thread to be a teaching and informational thread for people like myself who have Marans of all colors, French as well as English. I have a mixed batch, 5 pullets, and rooster. So far the colors I know are Black Copper, Cuckoo, and a Buff. I will take pics and post for further ID. I have a 10 X 14 shed with a temporary fenced in area of grass for them. I need to make time to make a better fence! I live on the Mason Dixon Line in PA. They are on Blue Seal crumbles not for laying yet, no eggs yet. They also get the same brand of scratch feed, grass, vegetable table scraps and grapes. I use pine shavings on the floor, about 3 inches. That's about all for my story. I am confused about breeding different colors together and what I'll get. I look forward to hearing from you and some experts of the breed, thank you.

There seems to be no search engine and they are hard to find on my cell phone. Thanks for your support...

Snowbird, here is a pic of my Marans. The rooster has no tail to speak of yet. Can you identify the other pullets and what they are called by color? Do they all lay brown eggs?

the brown with the black tail is a blck tailed buff. the black are black Marans. The oen who looks kinda barred is a cuckoo Marans. Thr kinda blue ones, zi can' tell. Maybe a Blue copper Marans.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom