Marans chick born the wrong color and blind.........?

emrldgrn1

Songster
12 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Vass, NC
I just hatched some French BLACK Copper Marans and some BLRW chicks (not mixed just in the same incubator) and every one seemed happy and healthy. Over the first night I noticed one little chick that seemed a bit sluggish so I gave it a bit of vitamin water. No problems there either. It seemed much happier and perkier by this morning. I went out to feed everyone this afternoon and noticed that this little chick was still sitting in the same spot not moving around the brooder much. So I nudged it over to the water and encouraged it to get a drink. The little thing kept missing the water bowl and kept hunting for it with its head down. This got me curious. I picked it up and looked close. It looks just fine. So I tap my finger toward its eyes...... no blink or flinch response
hu.gif
. This little booger is blind!
th.gif
I just figured that it was a BLRW because of its color, but while inspecting this lil one to see what the problem might be I have come to the conclusion that this is a MARANS chick!!!!!!
ep.gif

It has feathered shanks it can only be from my FBCM eggs. This baby should be BLACK! instead she is a caramel with lots of cream color. I have hatched hundreds of Marans eggs and I have never seen this Genetic deviation before. Has any one else seen this before? AND how do I teach a blind chick to eat???? Obviously this will be a cull but if it is a hen I will let her be a pet on my farm if I can teach her to eat and she survives. I cant see killing her now just because she is blind but otherwise healthy. Im too soft hearted.

She will have to be culled as she will be very vunerable to predators and she may be at the bottom of the pecking order because she cannot defend herself

Wow, sure is interesting! I'm a softie too and probably would wind up with a special house chicken :) Good luck with her whatever you decide!

Is she not even following the other ones cheeping?
Looks like she has been managing so far cos she is lovely and chunky.
Poss you will have to keep her in a special pen cos of predators but poss her other senses hearing etc will take over to compensate. She could be the one warning the others when predators are around that they can't see.
Sounds daft but could you put a tiny christmas bell on the water and a different bell on the food so if she isn't following the others she can hear them eating.
If you tinkle the bell and hand feed her she may learn that the sound means food.
They say chickens can't be taught but when mine see me in normal shoes they take no notice. In my wellies they know it is feed time and come running!

Is she not even following the other ones cheeping?
Looks like she has been managing so far cos she is lovely and chunky.
Poss you will have to keep her in a special pen cos of predators but poss her other senses hearing etc will take over to compensate. She could be the one warning the others when predators are around that they can't see.
Sounds daft but could you put a tiny christmas bell on the water and a different bell on the food so if she isn't following the others she can hear them eating.
If you tinkle the bell and hand feed her she may learn that the sound means food.
They say chickens can't be taught but when mine see me in normal shoes they take no notice. In my wellies they know it is feed time and come running!

The bell is a good idea. I'm willing to give it a try
fl.gif
. I also though about using feed as bedding. It would kind of make it hard for the lil thing to miss it that way. Expensive, but?.
idunno.gif

I wish someone could tell you. I have two Black Copper Maran hens and BCMaran rooster. I have hatched two dozen chicks...all are black with hairy legs and feet, and a white bottom. Today I watched a yellow chick emerge from a dark chocolate egg...I have only 1 rooster, and he's the Maran. This little yellow chick has yellow hairy legs and feet, and looks just like a Wheaton Maran...somebody please make sense of this.What just happened?

Back
Top Bottom