MARANS - proposed standards - - FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES

math ace

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
This was posted by another BYC member in the marans thread that is almost 50 pages long.
I thought I would start a new thread dealing with the standard only - - - as a QUICK reference - - - for marans fans.
I am working my way through the marans - - chat - - thread - - -. As I find info pertaining to the proposed standards - - -I will copy it here.

I don't want to compete with the other thread - - - I just want to put together a quick reference for marans information.
I will keep updating it as new information comes along....

Currently, the SOP for marans missed the printing in the 2010 APA SOP book because the standard for marans ( as indicated below) was approved AFTER the 2010 book was published.
When the next book comes out with the complete and correct SOP for marans in it.... I will do no more updating to the standard.

I will not be including the standard for any other colors. This is only for the Black Copper Marans. I believe the standard for the wheaten marans was approved in 2011.
The next publishing of the APA SOP book should include at least the Black Copper and Wheaten marans. Maybe more colors will be approved between now and then.

THIS thread is not for chatting.... There is another thread called Marans - SOP discussion thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=517113&p=1

At the Marans - SOP discussion thread, you can post and get answers to your questions about the SOP.

MARANS - -
General Description (approved 7/26/10)

The Marans breed originated in France, in marshy areas close to the Atlantic coast. The breed is named after the historic port town of Marans. Evolution of the Marans type bird is said to have begun as early as the 13th century, with crosses between the local marsh hens and various gamecocks brought in to the port on ships. Gradual development of the breed then continued through the centuries, including the introduction of Brahma and Langshan blood during the late 1800s. Marans in their modern form first began appearing in French poultry shows in 1914. The Marans Club of France was organized in 1929, and that club established the first standard for Marans in 1931.

Marans have been imported to the USA in small numbers for many years now, probably beginning around the time that soldiers returned to the States after World War II. Over the years, birds and eggs have been brought in not only from France but also from countries such as England, Canada, Australia, and possibly Belgium and Switzerland. Importations of "English type" clean-legged Marans have led to the establishment of many clean-legged flocks in this country, especially in the cuckoo variety; nonetheless, the American standard adheres to the French standard calling for lightly feathered shanks and toes.

Marans are best known for their large, russet brown eggs. This is a defining characteristic of the Marans breed, so selection for egg color and size should never be neglected. Physically the Marans is a medium-sized bird with the character of a rustic farm hen, giving an impression of solidity and strength without being coarse. The legs are lightly feathered, but leg feathering should never be excessively heavy. Eye color is bright and clear in all varieties, never darkening into brown nor paling into yellow or pearl.

Economic Qualities (approved 7/26/10)

The Marans is a general purpose fowl for production of both meat and eggs. The breed is most famous for its large, dark chocolate-russet eggs, but it is also known for the fine flavor of its meat. Color of skin, white; color of egg shells, very dark reddish brown.

Disqualifications (approved 7/26/10)

Yellow on shanks or toes. White ear lobes. Pearl or black eyes. Absence of feathers on shanks. (See General Disqualifications and Cutting for Defects.)

Standard Weights (approved 6/11/10)

Cock….…..8 lbs Hen……6 1/2 lbs
Cockerel….7lbs Pullet…..5 1/2 lbs

Shape—Male (approved 6/11/10)

COMB: Single, moderately large, straight, upright, evenly serrated with five points; the blade not touching the neck.
BEAK: Long, stout and well curved.
FACE: Smooth, skin fine and soft in texture.
EYES: Large and prominent.
WATTLES: Medium in size, oval, skin fine in texture.
EAR-LOBES: Average in size, long.
HEAD: Moderate in size, slightly flattened on top, and long.
NECK: Moderately long and full, arched. Hackle abundant, flowing well over the shoulders.
BACK: Wide at the shoulders, long, flat, slightly tilted to the rear. Slightly more inclined than that of the female.
Saddle feathers -- abundant, saddle large and slightly raised.
TAIL: Full, rather short, carried at an angle of 45 degrees above horizontal.
Main tail feathers -- broad and overlapping, shorter than average.
Sickles -- shorter than average.
WINGS: Short, held close to the body, carriage nearly horizontal.
Primaries and secondaries: broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.
BREAST: Strong, broad, and full. Well rounded when viewed from both the front and side.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body -- deep, long and broad, especially through the shoulders which are carried high. Overall, rectangular in shape.
Fluff -- medium in length.
LEGS and TOES: Legs set well apart and straight when viewed from the front.
Lower thighs -- strong and well feathered.
Shanks -- medium length, stout, and straight; lightly feathered down the outer sides.
Toes -- four long and well-separated toes on each foot. Outer toes lightly feathered, middle toes free from feathers.
PLUMAGE: Moderately tight and smooth textured.

Shape—Female (approved 7/09/10)

COMB: Single, smaller than that of the male; straight and upright, evenly serrated with five points, and fine in texture. No female in or near production with the rear portion of the comb lopped should be discriminated against.
BEAK: Long, stout and well curved.
FACE: Smooth, skin fine and soft in texture.
EYES: Large and prominent.
WATTLES: Medium in size, oval.
EAR-LOBES: Average in size, long.
HEAD: Moderate in size, slightly flattened on top, and long.
BACK: Wide at the shoulders, long, flat, and slightly tilted to the rear. Slightly less inclined that that of the male.
NECK: Moderately long and full, arched.
TAIL: Full, rather short, carried at an angle of 45 degrees above horizontal.
Main tail feathers -- broad and overlapping, shorter than average.
WINGS: Short, held close to the body, carriage nearly horizontal.
Primaries and secondaries: broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.
BREAST: Strong, broad, and full. Well rounded when viewed from both the front and side.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body -- deep, long and broad, especially through the shoulders which are carried high. Should be more rounded than the male.
Fluff -- medium in length.
LEGS AND TOES: Legs set well apart, straight when viewed from the front.
Lower Thighs -- strong and well feathered.
Shanks -- medium length, stout, and straight; lightly feathered down the outer sides.
Toes -- four long and well-separated toes on each foot. Outer toes lightly feathered, middle toes free from feathers..
PLUMAGE: Moderately tight and smooth textured.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that neither the quoted standard at the beginning of this thread nor the Marans of America site state the color of shanks for BCM? I have learned they are slate with pink undertones and pink soles. It would be appreciated if whomever reviews the standards from time to time were to include that information.
The accepted color standard for the Black copper variety is here.

Quote:

There are probably still version of other standards still floating the cyberspace but the Marans Chicken Club USA are the keepers of the breed standard so I would refer to that website until the next version of the APA standards Book comes out.

Note: The Marans of American Club do NOT follow the APA standard.

When that club was started they were breeding to the French standard because there was not a APA recognized standard. The Marans Chicken Club USA (a separate club under different leadership) is the club that has been promoting the breed in the USA and doing the work for APA recognitions. The Marans Club of American is about 5 years behind everyone else. They seem to have some distain for the APA standard since it didn't come from them.

*Edited to add note*

Note: I follow both Marans Clubs as well as the HPBAA. It is almost like every bloodline of Marans has to form a new club. Crazy...LOL

Last edited:
Hi good morning, sorry if this is off the topic I've been on here for an hour trying to find the BCM STANDARD in end up finding something different every time ,back to the note,where it says that the m o a c does not follow the APA standard ,question does the APA standard come from the French?

The APA Standard is basically the same as the French Standard, though there are some small differences.

Walt

Once again, I borrowed this from another BYC member on the marans thread. FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES only !

For those interested in showing, here is the point system French Black Coppers will be judged on:

Symmetry 4
Weight or size 4
Condition & vigor 10
Comb 5
Beak 3
Skull & face 4
Eyes 4
Wattles 2
Earlobes 4
Neck 6
Back 12
Tail 8
Wings 8
Breast 10
Body & fluff 8
Legs & toes 8

There are several tail point cuts that can be found in the SOP.

Pinched or gamy tail 1/2-2 pts. (but in reality you can't win with this condition).

Tail feathers missing where a foreign color would DQ. 1/2-1 pt.

Less than 1/4 developed 3 points.

I can't find the tail angle point cuts right now, but I'm guessing it is 1/2-3 and a DQ above 90 degrees.

Last edited:
Here is the Black Copper COLOR standard:

COLOR -- MALE
DISQUALIFICATION: Brown wing bay. (See General Disqualifications and Cutting for Defects.)
COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES: Bright red.
BEAK: Horn, black shading permitted.
EYES: Reddish bay.
HEAD: Lustrous deep copper, neither yellow nor mahogany.

NECK:
Hackle -- Lustrous deep copper, neither yellow nor mahogany. Some feathers, especially in the lower hackle, may include a narrow dark stripe through the middle of each feather, terminating in a point near its lower extremity.
Front of neck -- Black with markings of deep copper.

BACK: Lustrous deep copper.
Saddle -- Same as hackle.

TAIL:
Main Tail -- Black with slight luster.
Sickles and Coverts -- Lustrous black.

WINGS:
Shoulders -- Black.
Fronts -- Black.
Bows -- Deep russet red.
Coverts -- Lustrous black.
Primaries -- Black.
Secondaries -- Black, exposed portion forming black wing bay.

BREAST: Solid black or with a few copper spots. Not laced.

BODY AND STERN: Black.

LEGS AND TOES:
Lower Thighs -- Black.
Shanks and Toes -- Shanks and toes light to mid-slate, showing pink between the scales. Bottoms of feet pinkish white.
Shank and Toe Feathers -- Black.

COLOR -- FEMALE

DISQUALIFICATIONS: Brown spotting on the body.

COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES: Bright red.

BEAK: Dark horn.

EYES: Reddish bay.

HEAD: Lustrous copper.

NECK:
Hackle -- Copper, with a narrow dark stripe through the middle of each feather, terminating to a point near its lower extremity.
Front of Neck – Black with markings of copper.

BACK: Black.

TAIL: Black.

WINGS: Black.

BREAST: Solid black, or with a few copper spots. Not laced.

BODY AND STERN: Black.

LEGS AND TOES:
Lower Thighs -- Black.
Shanks and Toes -- Dark slate, bottoms of feet pinkish white.
Shank and Toe Feathers -- Black.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom